• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front Hub Conversion - Warn Or MileMarker - Rotor info needed!

98XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Has Anyone tried to fit(make it work) Ford Ranger (with manual hubs) rotors on D30 Hub Conversion? I know Ford Ranger rotors aren't cheap, however, getting cast rotors, machine them not cheap either.

TIA
Pit.

98XJ said:
Has Anyone tried to fit(make it work) Ford Ranger (with manual hubs) rotors on D30 Hub Conversion? I know Ford Ranger rotors aren't cheap, however, getting cast rotors, machine them not cheap either.

TIA
Pit.
i hate the ranger rotors...i haven't seen the inside of an xj rotor (yet)
the ranger rotors have a raised ring inside where the inner bearing races press in against them... after some miles acumulates on "rough" tires the ring will start to separate from the rotor leaving nothing to hold the bearings in place... resulting in the rotor/wheel sliding off...
it happened to my '92 7" lift and 33" mud t/a's and also to a friends 89" bronco II
i caught mine before it completly separated, but my friends happend at 35 mph luckily he had just gotten off the highway or it could have been real bad
also i sold the rander in '96 the guy that bought it lost a wheel in this manner two years and 20,000 miles after i changed the rotor for a new one...

My understanding is that if you do the hub conversion DO NOT USE THE 5 x 4.5 version.

The hubs are just too small for a vehicle that will be used off-road.

This also applies to the rear FF kit.

Just what I've read. I plan to head the advice.

r@m

Rootmoose,

Your understanding is based probably on someone elses understanding, instead of any real world experience. Take your opinions on understanding without real world experience to JU PLEASE!

I have the Warn hubs with the 4.5 pattern. I wheel it with a lock-rite, and so does a friend of mine with the same set-up. I've had no problems running 35's and my friend runs 36 TSL's and 35 Boggers. Last weekend I hammered on it in a mud bog until I got out. No problem. I've run on the rocks, flexed to a rediculous amount, as the XJ loves to do, all with no problems from the Warn hubs. Warn wouldn't sell them if they were weak. I've used alot of Warn's stuff and it's all well built for off-road use. When I'm done wheelin' I just unlock and go. No vibes and better gas mpg's, not to mention runnin' a lock-rite up front is completely effortless on the road.

As for the rotors, I run the machined ones that Warn recommends. I haven't had any trouble with them. I also run the alloy outers from Warn with the 760 joints.

My rant, and two cents all rolled into one. AND, based on my own personal experience!

fa50bd95.jpg

Greddy

Last edited:
xjaddiction said:
Rootmoose,

Your understanding is based probably on someone elses understanding, instead of any real world experience. Take your opinions on understanding without real world experience to JU PLEASE!

I have the Warn hubs with the 4.5 pattern. I wheel it with a lock-rite, and so does a friend of mine with the same set-up. I've had no problems running 35's and my friend runs 36 TSL's and 35 Boggers. Last weekend I hammered on it in a mud bog until I got out. No problem. I've run on the rocks, flexed to a rediculous amount, as the XJ loves to do, all with no problems from the Warn hubs. Warn wouldn't sell them if they were weak. I've used alot of Warn's stuff and it's all well built for off-road use. When I'm done wheelin' I just unlock and go. No vibes and better gas mpg's, not to mention runnin' a lock-rite up front is completely effortless on the road.

As for the rotors, I run the machined ones that Warn recommends. I haven't had any trouble with them.

My rant, and two cents all rolled into one. AND, based on my own personal experience!

Greddy

Not sure if I'd believe anyone with that NAXJA member number. :D However I do agree. I ran the 5 on 4.5 version on my '88 with 35s for over 2 years. I have done a ton of Web Wheeling at it has held up great. Seriously though, I have the Warn Alloy inners and have had no issues. I do plan on putting that axle on my '98, also to have 35s. I am more concerned with my knuckles not the hubs.

Last edited:
Hey John John, nothing like havin #666 for your member number and livin' in the "Bible Belt".

has anyone tried to swap in an axle from a wrangler?
they have the locking hubs don't they?

i have no experience with these so don't yell at me about the side the pinion is on or anything ...please it was just a passing thought.

Back