• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4.0 the same for 2WD and 4wd right?

rav

NAXJA Forum User
Hi Guys;
I am 100% sure that the 4.0 is the same for the 2wd and the 4wd but just want to reconfirm. I am swapping my 88 4.0 with a 99 4.0 which is a 2WD. Please let me know.

Thanks;
Rav

rav said:
Hi Guys;
I am 100% sure that the 4.0 is the same for the 2wd and the 4wd but just want to reconfirm. I am swapping my 88 4.0 with a 99 4.0 which is a 2WD. Please let me know.

Thanks;
Rav

You will need the ECU, sensors, wiring harness and probably emission hoses, charcol canister.

The basic engine is the same, but the ignition and injection are completely different. In addition to needing the ECU for the new engine, you will also need a wiring harness and a fuel pump because they operate at different pressures.

Or you can swap your '88 ignition and injection onto the new engine

Eagle said:
The basic engine is the same, but the ignition and injection are completely different. In addition to needing the ECU for the new engine, you will also need a wiring harness and a fuel pump because they operate at different pressures.

Or you can swap your '88 ignition and injection onto the new engine

Thanks for your reply, can you please amplify on this in particular the injection, also can i used my 88 renix ignition. I was under the impression that only the Tranny and the TC difference make it a 4x4. :dunno:

EDIT;
Eagle i am doing a complete swap that is i am putting the 99 motor with its computer, wiring and the fuel tank. did you maen this ignition and injection were different from the renix, if that is so then i know that, i guess what i meant to ask is the difference between a 99 4.0 4wd and a 99 4.0 2wd.

Thanks;
ravi

I meant the injection and ignition for the 99 is different from that for an '88. This is going into an '88, correct?

Yeah, if you're swapping in the entire '99 engine, injection, wiring and fuel system you're good to go. The engine doesn't care if it's 2WD or 4WD.

Eagle said:
I meant the injection and ignition for the 99 is different from that for an '88. This is going into an '88, correct?

Yeah, if you're swapping in the entire '99 engine, injection, wiring and fuel system you're good to go. The engine doesn't care if it's 2WD or 4WD.
Thanks the complete 99 4.0 with all its jazz is going in.

Ravi

Back