• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

TPS ground

Ecarlcl

NAXJA Forum User
I understand that the ground can go bad on the TPS in renix equiped XJ's. and that this can cause high idle issues. Where on the chassis is this grounded at? Im thinking that if I clean it up I might be rid of my high idle woes. I have a 90 with the 4.0 and 5sp.

Thanks
Ecarlcl

On mine there is no external ground for the TPS. It's return (ground if you wish) is in the ECU. Some have tapped in near the sensor and added an extra ground. I'm suspicious about the value of this mod.

I had the usual TPS problems on my '90 XJ several years ago. After much searching with a digital multimeter, I found the TPS ground was actually above 1 volt. Cleaning connectors, etc didn't help. I finally spliced a short piece of wire to the ground wire in theTPS harness, close to the connector, and grounded it under a screw on the throttle body. That has put an end to my TPS issues for a number of years now. I recommend this as a first step for anyone having TPS headaches.

On my TPS I ran a ground wire from one of the screws to a a bolt on the trottle body and problem solved...........

gptherezonlyone said:
On my TPS I ran a ground wire from one of the screws to a a bolt on the trottle body and problem solved...........

Sweet, its the middle wire on the 5sp right?

Thanks

Check the TPS ground first by by setting DVOM to volts DC and backprobing the TPS ground wire and touching the other probe to a known good ground. The value should be less than 100 mV. This is a common way of checking sensor grounds and can be used on any sensor that requires a ground to function properly ie: MAP,TPS,O2 etc. Also clean the ground connection on your engine block near the back on the passenger side, I believe the computer is grounded here.

Yeah, ground straps are useless, I had to replace one with actual cable in my mustang.

Thanks

Back