• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NO windshield wipers

xjennyj

NAXJA Forum User
This problem is stemming from my earlier problem of replacing the turn signal lever. To make a long story short, I saw sparks jump out of my turn signal lever while I was driving (now the sparks were from something I did and already fixed)..and all of a sudden no windshield wipers at all-not even a squirter. (therefore i don't believe it is the motor) I've been looking at the wiring schematics in my Haynes manual (these things suck btw), and think that it might be the intermittent wiper module LH of the steering column, but am not sure. I replaced the circuit breaker, and it has power going to it. Help?? :)

We just replaced the turn signal assembly on one of the 97TJ's a few minutes ago and that wiring is pretty close together. Could be something in there, I know the intermittants use a series of resistors to do the delay thing thats built into the switch assembly. They cost around $53 at www.jeepsarus.com, we are ordering two of them tomorrow for both TJ's as neither have intermittant and both kids want them [spoiled by learning to drive on my XJ and the wifes loaded Olds]... They might have replacements for the XJ though they don't seem to be listed there, might want to call them. Only other alternative is to pull the switch assembly and start checking it with a volt/ohm meter...

On my '89, I can pull both plugs off of the intermittant module and just connect them together. This will tell you if the module is part of the problem or not.

As mentioned above you can take out the intermittant wiper module and hook the two connectors together. This should tell you if the problem is in the module. In this mode the delay setting won't work but the high and low speed positions and the washer pump should work. If the wipers still wont work you may have fried the switch or the wire that feeds it. If you want to check the voltages and connections at the connectors you should find the following:

A and G are the delay resistor (on the column connector)
A is not used and G is grounded (on the harness side)
B is the washer pump and will read 12 volts when the washer switch is pushed
C is the high speed winding for the wiper motor and will have 12v in the high position
D is the 12 volt feed (check this to make sure you have 12 volts if not nothing will work.
E is the low speed winding for the wiper motor and will have 12v in the low position
F is the Park signal (12 volts when not in the park position, grounded in park) When the wipers are not in the park position and you turn the wipers off the low speed winding is fed from the park connector which will feed 12 volts to the winding until the park position is reached then the 12 volts goes away. The park wire switching is done in the wiper motor. The gounded park signal not only stops the wipers in the park position but discharges a capacitor in the delay wiper circuit which starts the next delay cycle.
Hope this helps,
Dave

Fix number two of alot more I am sure...thanks guys...it was the module, and after wiring the two wires together, I am sure to be able to see tomorrow!!

awesome!!!! :clap:

Back