• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

what size tube/channel for plating the unibody?

xj_punk

NAXJA Forum User
subframe guys, what size did you use to slip over the unibody? i am done with the front section that the tranny crossmember hooks to, now i need to do the back.

what i.d. does the sq tube/channel need?

some people say 4X6(o.d.) .250 wall, cut in half... and i know it needs to be about 3" tall, so that there is room to weld. but is the uniframe really 3.5" wide? i didn't think so.

Across the middle of the jeep the unibody is 3.5" wide. It slims down going rearward behind the leaf spring perches.

The 4"x6"x.250 works for the middle section.

Unless my tape measrue was lyin it is 3.5" wide from the crossmember to right ahead of the spring hangers.

I was gonna do that area with 3x6 x .25 cut in half. Will need about 32" long pice to do both sides. Was then gonna use 4x.25 angle or something simmilar from the LCA mounts and back to where I start putting the tube on.

andyr354 said:
Unless my tape measrue was lyin it is 3.5" wide from the crossmember to right ahead of the spring hangers.

I was gonna do that area with 3x6 x .25 cut in half. Will need about 32" long pice to do both sides. Was then gonna use 4x.25 angle or something simmilar from the LCA mounts and back to where I start putting the tube on.

I used 4 x 6 x .250 cut in half for the under the door area, and I think it was 3.5 x 6 x .250 for one area above the rear axle.
Billy

Back