• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cryogenic treatment

crazy_cooter56

NAXJA Forum User
With the ctm joints the main strength comes from the cryogenic process am I correct? I found a place locally that I can have my axle shafts and all my ujoints done with the cryogenic process for about 150 total. Looking for some input on what yall think of this.

I've had several things treated from the XJ's front rotors and rear drums [which are still on the shelf, last rotors were replaced under the recall], 700PSS, couple of Gold Cup .45 barrels and a few other odds and ends. Did notice a difference on the 700 first trip to the range, not so much with the .45, still have yet to put the brake parts on but from all reports the improvement to overheating and warpage is very good. The place I went to in Orland Florida when I had it done had a few truckloads of NASCAR and CART parts that they were doing in addition to a whole bunch of brass musical instruments . :dunno:

no the main strength of the CTM's comes from design, material and heat treatment. Cyro treating will increase the strength but it's marginal compared ot what a good heat treat can/will do.

If your axles and u joints have a good heat treatment, then sure go for the cyro. Make sure they realy now what they are doing and arn't just sticking them in a freezer for a few hours. Sounds like a good price but I don't know what good cyro jobs go for.

well they supply parts for NASA so I hope they know there stuff. They've been around for several years and I've talked to several dragster guys that have them do parts and love the work. Just not sure. I might give it a try, guess there's only one way to find out, and heck the total cost is less than one ctm

Back