• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Serp belt flies off in a puddle?

DeathByXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Looking for clues-- just drive through a flooded street and the serp belt came off.. '90 4.0.. new harmonic balancer, water pump and belt.. XJ wasn't even warmed up, had been driving for 2 mins. Chance I submerged the alternator and froze it up-- thereby spitting the belt? Shiiitte... thanks for any help.

How deep? Any chance the fan blades hit the water?

DeathByXJ said:
Believe so.. probably 2 1/2 feet deep. You think the fan may have twisted as it hit the wall o' water and tossed the belt?

More than likely, that's what happend. H2o does bad things, being it doesn't like to compress, or change directions once in motion. $.02

Rob

Who put the belt on and did they actually check that the belt was at the correct pound setting ??? The puddle and belt thing could have been just coincidental and the belt might have come off on a dry road anyway. I would look and make sure you still have all your idler pulleys, those belts sit pretty far down in the pulleys and can be tough to get out even when loose...

Thanks.. new belt with new water pump about a month ago.. happened out of town, so had to pay out at a$$ at a firestone at the time. Good news is I made local firestone put a new freebie belt on it today. All pulleys are there and seem to line up just fine-- think was my bad for trying to surf with an old XJ. But we'll see if it holds...

Back