• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Changed rotors and pads, now this...

ZachMan

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Memorial Lifetime Member
Had my trusted shop put on some normal Advanced Auto Parts rotors and pads. They breaks are fine and everything, but... Now I have a shimmy in my steeringwheel at about 52-55mph. and my Jeep seems t be out of alighnment too (it pulls to the right when I am not touching the wheel).

I figure the shimmy is a tire out of balance and I may just need a new alighnment, but why would I just now notice it after new rotors and pads?

ZachMan said:
Had my trusted shop put on some normal Advanced Auto Parts rotors and pads. They breaks are fine and everything, but... Now I have a shimmy in my steeringwheel at about 52-55mph. and my Jeep seems t be out of alighnment too (it pulls to the right when I am not touching the wheel).

I figure the shimmy is a tire out of balance and I may just need a new alighnment, but why would I just now notice it after new rotors and pads?

THey knocked off a weight or two while putting the tires back on?

WEIRD! I just replace my calipers rotors and pads and I to have a shimmy at that exact speed range. Just feels like a tire is outta balance. I aslo had a slightly bent tie rod so I replaced that yesterday with no change. I was gonna take it to a tire shop this afternoon I will report back if I can.

You may have a caliper that is stuck,rubbing the rotor,and overheating,warping that rotor.
Or the shop may have gunned down the lug nuts and warpped the rotor.
Or a combination of all of the above.Not knowing the year of you XJ ,but rebuilt calipers are less than $25,Why not replace them?
Wayne

Wayne Sihler said:
You may have a caliper that is stuck,rubbing the rotor,and overheating,warping that rotor.
Or the shop may have gunned down the lug nuts and warpped the rotor.
Or a combination of all of the above.Not knowing the year of you XJ ,but rebuilt calipers are less than $25,Why not replace them?
Wayne

Hmmm,

Its a 2000 w/ 67k, I did run the brakes way way down. I do know the wheels were not torqued down too hard because when I got home to check everything I could tighten the lugs up more w/ just my factory lug wrench.

I don't think a rotor is warped because ther is no shimmy (warped rotor shimmy) when braking and the brakes do perform very well. Plus I noticed the shimy as soon as I left the shop not even 300 feet away. I do however notice the brakes give off a smell after a good drive, I think its just from the new rotors and pads.

staticrevolution said:
WEIRD! I just replace my calipers rotors and pads and I to have a shimmy at that exact speed range. Just feels like a tire is outta balance. I aslo had a slightly bent tie rod so I replaced that yesterday with no change. I was gonna take it to a tire shop this afternoon I will report back if I can.

Please do! :)

I completely forgot to report back SORRY guys. Anyways it was all just a fluke. The tire shop said I need to rotate my tires more and that they were "cupping" and causing the vibration at speed. Funny thing is the tires are less than 2000 miles old? weird! But a simple rotation fixed the steering vibration.

Alan

staticrevolution said:
I completely forgot to report back SORRY guys. Anyways it was all just a fluke. The tire shop said I need to rotate my tires more and that they were "cupping" and causing the vibration at speed. Funny thing is the tires are less than 2000 miles old? weird! But a simple rotation fixed the steering vibration.

Alan
If your tires are cupping you might want to check your suspension.

I rotate my AT KO's every 3,000mi or try to, depends on the weather. I normally do just a front to back thing. I let them go for for about 9,000mi and when I did rotate them they vibrated for about 500-800mi then smoothed out again. The main reason I rotated them was becasue I could see the uneven wear on the lugs. Now they are back to a normal smooth wear pattern when I look from the side. Air pressure is also very important. As for tightening the lugs I bought a $30 1/2 twist type torque wrench at National Auto. it's a big wrench, I keep it under my rear seat with a 3" extension and correct socket. Whenever I have any work done that is not under my control or being done by me I pay my bill, drive out about 1/2 mi or so to the first available parking lot, use a 1/2 breaker bar wrench to back them off a bit then retorque them to 95ftlbs. You never use a torque wrench to loosen tight bolts and nuts....

Back