• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I don't think I asked the search engine the right question...

RINGKONG

NAXJA Forum User
Here is my question and back ground.

I have a 87 jeep cherokee with 4.0L and Aw4, that was totaled(economic) by the insurance company, because I was teboned by a dude driving his Girlfriends lexus(read former girlfriend :D). I can purchase a 94 cherokee SE really cheap but I need to stick an automatic in it, so my wife can drive it too. it currently has the 5spd in it. will the AW4 bolt up to the HO engine? not sure where the spline count comes in here. I will slap in my np242 from the 87 if I have to....not sure when they went to electronic speed sensors..

any help would be greatly appreciated.

yes(before anybody asks..:D) it does have the Dana 44 rearend in it. :chef: I will strip this car for parts to sell someday. :cheers:

RINGKONG said:
Here is my question and back ground.

I have a 87 jeep cherokee with 4.0L and Aw4, that was totaled(economic) by the insurance company, because I was teboned by a dude driving his Girlfriends lexus(read former girlfriend :D). I can purchase a 94 cherokee SE really cheap but I need to stick an automatic in it, so my wife can drive it too. it currently has the 5spd in it. will the AW4 bolt up to the HO engine? not sure where the spline count comes in here. I will slap in my np242 from the 87 if I have to....not sure when they went to electronic speed sensors..

any help would be greatly appreciated.

yes(before anybody asks..:D) it does have the Dana 44 rearend in it. :chef: I will strip this car for parts to sell someday. :cheers:

I don't know about the spline count, but it shouldn't matter if you're using a matched transfer case with the transmission. The 94 does have the electronic speed sensor. You would need to ensure that that can be attached to the older TC, which I believe it can. It's kind of the reverse of the way I'd be heading, but I don't see why it wouldn't work.

Oh, wait a second....You'll need to get a new flywheel, I think! The flywheel notches that are read by the crank position sensor are different between REnix and Chrysler systems (90 is Renix, 91 Chrysler), so the flywheel from the 87 won't do it.

I'm really not sure if the stick and automatic versions of the Chrysler system use a different computer, either. If so, that's another obstacle. You'd do a whole lot better if you could find an 87-90 for the swap or a later automatic.

cheaper perhaps, but is it worth the trouble? hmmmmm....tranny swap or teaching the lady to drive stick? either way, you're in for some headaches.

xjblaine said:
cheaper perhaps, but is it worth the trouble? hmmmmm....tranny swap or teaching the lady to drive stick? either way, you're in for some headaches.

I tried once... I ended up getting a lawyer.... seriously.

this is much cheaper, and I get to keep my kids. party1: party1:

The way I see it, if my Mom learnt to drive (and drive stick!) at the age of 40, anyone can! You can tell your wife that with the money you will save from the conversion, you'll buy her something nice... :viking:

It seems way outta line to swap trannys...especially from a manual to a auto. just because someone cant drive a stick. I mean with practice anyone should be able to drive one. Anyway you may need a different computer as autos have a few sensors that manuals don't. Are the Transmissions the same length (driveshaft)???? Just some things to think about.

Matthew Currie gave you the right advice.

Spline count affects the mating of transfer case to transmission. If you swap them both in together, you won't have a problem.

The HO engine does use a different type of CPS, so you will need to get a new flywheel (flexplate) that's correct for your year XJ to go with the automatic transmission.

The ECU is different for automatics and manuals, but will probably work. There are people on the Strokers discussion group driving automatics with manuall tranny ECUs, and vice versa.. The transmission controller is stand-alone, so just bring that in from the donor vehicle.

Your gearing will be a bit flat. The 5-speed has 3.07 gears and the automatics came with 3.55, but there's no reason it can't be driven that way. You will need to change the speedometer drive gear. Not certain if the one from the 5-speed will fit the automatic -- I know somewhere along the way DaimlerChrysler changed the length of the drive gear shank, but I don't know when that happened. But distributor gears aren't expensive.

How about this... Buy the dirt cheap XJ, sell it at market value, then buy an automatic XJ...

Mikel said:
The way I see it, if my Mom learnt to drive (and drive stick!) at the age of 40, anyone can! You can tell your wife that with the money you will save from the conversion, you'll buy her something nice... :viking:
That's what I'm thinking as well. My mom won't BUY an automatic, even if that means she looks through the lots that much longer since sticks are becoming harder to find. Teach her to drive the manual, promise her something nice, and then she'll be able to drive anything

I would opt for teaching the wife to drive the stick. I think that every one (that is pyhsically able)should have to be able to drive a manual. Because you never know it just might be very handy some day.

Jeepster4wd said:
eagle will an 89 flexplate fit on my 93? they look prety much the same???

It will fit, but it won't fire your CPS properly. You need a flexplate for a '91 or newer XJ to work with the Mopar injection and ignition in your XJ.

well that question was for naught....

the lot wouldn't sell the thing for less than 4 grand...

it had 259909 miles on it and the interior was trashed..and the outside was rough.... plus it sat on the lot for OVER A YEAR... I know I watched it....

Now I know why it sat. the saleman is crazy. :D

I would have given him a grand for it.

I'll just keep driving the totaled jeep... crawling over the center consel sucks though.. :D plus the cold wind blowing thru the top gap(about 12 inches) between the door and the door jam isnt fun.... :D

You know some car lots just seem to be crazy the way they do things. Not to long ago I found a Brand new 2002 Grand Cherokee on a lot and I just couldn't get them to make a deal on it. It almost seemed like they didn't want me to buy it.

xjblaine said:
cheaper perhaps, but is it worth the trouble? hmmmmm....tranny swap or teaching the lady to drive stick (and swap a clutch)? either way, you're in for some headaches.

(just my experience)

Steelerfan said:
You know some car lots just seem to be crazy the way they do things. Not to long ago I found a Brand new 2002 Grand Cherokee on a lot and I just couldn't get them to make a deal on it. It almost seemed like they didn't want me to buy it.

Yep.

Back