• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Which is the Better Gears 4.11 or 4.56?

AJ-MJ

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 1990 MJ with the 4.0 Liter and 5 speed. I have just lifted to 6 inches and mounted 33X12.50s. I have done a lot of research but still get varing opinions. Either 4.11 or 4.56? I would appreciate a little advice and first hand experience.

From the information I have, it appears the 4.11s will put it closest to original RPMs (in 4th and/or 5th). P225SR70 or P205SR70 with 3.55

Some people say it is still gutless on the highway with 4.11!

Secondly, are there better gear manufactures than others? Any brands that is better or some to stay away from?

Any good deals?
:wierd:

I had 4.10's on 33's and didn't like it although mine is an automatic. I just switched to 4.56's. I am definately happier with the lower gearing and it seems to be getting me a little better gas mileage than the 4.10's did because I drive the freeway a lot and it down shifted constantly.

4.10s will be pretty close to stock but you'll end up working harder to keep the heavier tires rolling. 4.56 will work for ya

kirby said:
I had 4.10's on 33's and didn't like it although mine is an automatic. I just switched to 4.56's. I am definately happier with the lower gearing and it seems to be getting me a little better gas mileage than the 4.10's did because I drive the freeway a lot and it down shifted constantly.

Thanks for the feedback!!

What kinda gas mileage??

I have a cracked manifold right now that is cutting my mileage as it is so I only get a little better than 15 mpg but it's said that you can get 3 to 5 more than that but don't expect more than 18 to 20

AJ-MJ said:
I have a 1990 MJ with the 4.0 Liter and 5 speed. I have just lifted to 6 inches and mounted 33X12.50s. I have done a lot of research but still get varing opinions. Either 4.11 or 4.56? I would appreciate a little advice and first hand experience.

From the information I have, it appears the 4.11s will put it closest to original RPMs (in 4th and/or 5th). P225SR70 or P205SR70 with 3.55

Some people say it is still gutless on the highway with 4.11!

Secondly, are there better gear manufactures than others? Any brands that is better or some to stay away from?

Any good deals?
:wierd:

I know from direct expierence. I have a 5 spd, 33" tires and I have had both 4.10 and 4.88. I didn't mind 4.10 and 33's onroad, it works rather well. RPM's are in a very good place. Highway was fine, if I had to pass it did well in 4th gear. I also had no trouble with hill climbs, I was able to do them all in 4th gear. If I was able to keep the speed up then maybe 5th at times.

I'm now with 4.88's because I wanted a lower ration on the trail. Right now it reminds me of when I had 4.10's and 31's. First gear is rather low, you can start out easily in second. I'm pulling about 2500 rpm's at 65mph. I can pass in 5th with no problem.

I've been told 4.56 is a very good ratio for 33's. I went with 4.88 because I wanted to see a bigger difference. As far as company's, Yukon or Dana. I have a set of Superior's in the rear, compared to the set of Yukon's I have for the front I can see the difference in quality. Stay away from Genuine Gear, otherwise do a search.

Always go lower than you think you want. If you plan on stepping up to say 35's id definatly go 4.88's. I was planing on going with 5.13's originally but im glad i ended up with 5.43's with 38's. I pull about 2500rpms at around 65-70 but i still get 15-20mpg on the highway.
marc

Back