• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

PTO on a NP242 & front Receiver Hitch

pslink

NAXJA Forum User
Hey Everyone;

I'm a newbie, so please forgive If this has been asked in advance..
I am wondering if it is possible to mount a PTO on a NP242, If so any info would be appreciated. Also, I have a 91 XJ limited with a Waag grill guard, and OEM tow hooks, I am looking to put a front receiver on it but the DrawTite looks to be a tite fit... Anyway I'm wondering if anyone has ideas about the Hidden HItch? I'm trying to keep the bumpers stock for the time being, until I get more miles on it. Most of the time I just wander the wild, not much rockcrawlin.

TIA

As far as I know, no one makes a PTO for a NP242. Did you want it to run a winch? Mile Marker makes a hydraulic one that runs off of your power steering pump and everyone makes an electric one. I’m pretty sure that the Draw Tite and Hidden Hitch front receivers use the factory tow hook locations to tie into the frame, basically you can’t use factory tow hooks with them.

Not real sure how factory tow hooks mount.But the hitches,for the front bolt to the sway bar mounts and a drilled hole in the end of the frame rail.
No way to run a PTO out of a 242 box.
Wayne

The front output on a 242 transfer case only operates in 4WD, there is no "front only" position, so a power take-off isn't a very viable option.

i have the hidden hitch and the draw-tite front receivers.... the drawtite is IMHO the better of the 2.... better ground clearance... tighter fit to frame.. heavier construction.... the hidden hitch can easily be "boxed" as a front skidplate if you wanted to do that... im not sure where the tow hooks actually tie-in to the frame but the hidden hitch used the rear most (of the 2) swaybar bolt and another existing threaded holein the frame.. and the drawtite actually gets mounted between the frame and the swaybar bushings... they both use 2 more drilled holes near the front.... the draw-tite cost me $135 this spring and Qtec has the hidden for like $89.... i suggest the draw-tite because after having my hidden hitch modified it was about the same$$$ ... an interesting note on this subject is that hidden hitch AND drw-tite are now owned by a 3rd larger company... i would not expect them to continue to produce 2 different designs for the same vehicle for very long but i am just speculating on what my local hitch guru told me recently....

mike

Could someone please explain really complete to me why PTO can´t fit to an NP242 transfer case. I need to know because the Finnish importer says that PTO was installed to all Jeeps that came to Finland. OK, I have a gable and a handle that says PTO, but the gable goes inside the frame rail and isn't attached to anything.

Whats a gable? Something on a roof? As for the 242, it is built solely to drive the wheels. Older, and some newer trans. or t-cases have PTO ports that are made with a standardized opening to attach various PTO driven acc. NV242 cases are not one of them. If Jeeps imported to Finland have some provision for this, its not something we have in the US, so you would have to look at what you have and maybe give us some more info.

NP242 w/PTO? I'd really like to see how that was done - but my money will be on a different transfer case. Check yours for a small round ID tag (about 2") screwed to the outside of the case - probalby behind-ish the front output (opposite side of the case, of course - the ID tags usually look to the rear...) I'd also like to see pix, if you can make that happen.

I just got done tearing a 242 to bits, and I don't think there's room in the case for a set of PTO internals - but I may be wrong.

Why, exactly, do you want a PTO? Here they're usually used for industrial stuff - running a heavy hydraulic pump, sometimes an auxiliary generator or water pump, and military vehicles use them for winches (but we're dealing with 2.5- or 5-ton trucks at that point, with a dry weight of up around 8000-10,000 pounds or so. Need a bigger winch for that stuff...)

If you're wanting to do a winch, you'll probably be better off with an electric job, since you can run that without needing the engine (can come in handy if you think you're about to be hydrolocked...) The MM hydraulic winches are supposed to be good - more power and no electrical drain - but I don't have enough reports from the field to really form an opinion (although I am considering one - probably go in with an AGR high-pressure pump, tho.)

The best thing about this place is the exchange of ideas - sometimes you find a way to do whatever wierd thing you want, sometimes you find a better way.

Oh - don't worry about your English - I'm an engineer, and the nice thing about online fora is that I can compose an answer before I send it (much better than conversation most times...)

5-90

Well what I´m saying is that I have no PTO, only the controls. Importer told me that there was some tax relief with 4x4 cars which had PTO. He also told me that PTO was installed to the rear output saft and removed after taxes were paid. So I asked which parts did they use - He couldn't tell me.

And I'm not going to use PTO for anything, just worrying if someone(inspection authority) notices that I have no PTO and taxes will fall on me...

Back