• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

02 sensor

imma honky

NAXJA Forum User
Just bought a new jeep. The only problem is that it needs a new o2 sensor. Will it hurt anything if I don't get it replaced asap? Cause I don't have the money right now (get paid at the end of the month). I just don't want it to do any hard if it is not replaced immediately.

If the O2 sensor is bad the engine will probably run too rich. Not only does the fuel mileage suck, the unbrned fuel destroys the catalytic converter.

Find the money somewhere, but replace the O2 as soon as possible.

K. Not what I wanted to hear, but I can deal with it. I get paid at the end of the month and might have enough after bills to get one. Otherwise it will have to wait till the next paycheck. Thanks!

The wires on my sensor got fried against the exhaust and I have no idea how long it had been running without the sensor. I honestly didn't notice any drop in the mileage but the converter gives me some concern now that Eagle mentions it. It still runs great though. Oh, and I have since changed the sensor.

it can reduce you 3 to 5 mpg and its like a 50 dollar part... just go ahead and replace it.. it takes 5 mins top.. and one wrench

I've got an 89 with a 4.0 that has failed 2 emmission tests so far and I'm starting to suspect the O2 sensor. Is there any way to test it to see if it needs to be replaced?

A new O2 will usually pay for itself in gas milage real quick. I'm going to do both of mine in my 98 [yea, 97+'s have TWO]. I figure at 192,000 it's about time... I'm just waiting till all the friggin ice and snow melt, driveway is now only 3" thick with ice instead of 5"....COME ON WARM WEATHER....melt that stuff....

Spccial tools required?

I need to replace the O2 sensor in a '89 XJ I just bought. I have had them replaced in the past. I see earlier in this thread that it is a 5 minute job, so I think I will do this one myself.

Do I need a special tool (socket) to replace it? If so, do you think AutoZone would have one to loan?

Thanks for allowing me this brief hyjack.
MoFo

no special tools required, just your normal wrench-took me 5 min

bentheprop said:
I've got an 89 with a 4.0 that has failed 2 emmission tests so far and I'm starting to suspect the O2 sensor. Is there any way to test it to see if it needs to be replaced?
I thought it could be tested with a multimeter. Does anyone know how?

You could test the connection with the VM, but just take off the old 02 and see if it looks good or not (ie burnt or corroded)

Back