• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

adding in rear defrost....

imma honky

NAXJA Forum User
Has anyone added a rear window with defrost into one that previously didn't have it? The jeep I just got doesn't have it, but I would like to put one in down the road. Anyone know how much a rear window with defrost will cost? (I could find one in a jyard, but I think I would shatter it.)
TIA.

I have not looked lately but there used to be 'add on' kits sold in auto stores that had a big roll of those elements embeded in plastic that was sticky on one side. I have not looked or seen any in a long time so I don't know if they are still around.
Alternative is to pull one out of a junker and take it to a glass shop, if you are hesitant about removing either of them take the whole hatch and let them do it, might cost $50 to $100 or ask a glass installer how much to do on the side for you... you usually find them in company parking lots doing 'on the spot' replacements...

I would get one from a u-pull-it yard if there is one in your area. They are pretty easy to remove and at the yard you could just slit the rubber with a knife and be done with it. If you happen to break the original during removal, it won't matter much. They really don't seem to break easily. The FSM provides a good description about how to install it. These windows are rubber-set, unlike the windshield which is glued in. All you will need for installation is 1/8" nylon cord and a helper. Put the rubber weather strip on the "new" window then run the cord around the perimeter in the groove that mates with the hatch. Try to work most of one side into place and pull on the cord to zipper the weather strip into place. You do not want to remove the hatch.

The rear window is incredibly easy to remove. An ex-GF's daughter used to have an XJ. She stopped by one day after an antiquing expedition. She bought a chest that was a tad larger than she thought, closed the hatch, and the upper half of the window popped loose.

Simple fix to run a dull table knife around the gasket and press it back into place. You don't need to slit the rubber or anything to remove it.

If you go junkyard, there is a relay mounted in the rear hatch below the glass. You'll need that and the dash switch to make it work.

Back