• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Axle swap questions.

RVAXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I am putting a lift on with 31s till I can get up to 33s with a little more lift, and I am to cheap to pay a shop to install new gears. So in addition to wanting some gears like 4.11 or atleast 3.55 or soemthing. What axles can I find at the local pic n pull that will swap right into my XJ. It's a 91. I will be needing front and rear and I don't really just wanna put another D35 and D30 in with larger gears cause I wanna get a little more strength out of the axles too. Oh yeah. I'm not familiar with which axles can come out of what cars so post that too if you can.

Thanx in advance
Nick

axle?

you can get a Ford 8.8 that already has 4.11 (or very close to that ratio) easily. There are lots of them out there. When I did my swap I could get one for $250. A lot of them come with a limited slip whick works okay until you can afford a locker. The newer ones come with disc brakes also. The spring perches have to be moved and the shock perchs. I did this and it really was easy and well worth the effort just for the brakes. M.O.R.E. carries parts that make this an easy swap.

I wouldn't really be unable to do those mods but I'm not exactly the worlds best fabricationist but I do enjoy doing things for myself. I think it helps me learn things quicker through experience but I am looking for an eaxle that requires less modification.

If you're looking at less fab than that I'm thinking your only options would be the 8.25 or d44 off of the cherokees. Good luck finding a 44 in the junk yard although there have been a few for sell here on NAXJA. The 8.25 are far more easy to find.

RVAXJ said:
I wouldn't really be unable to do those mods but I'm not exactly the worlds best fabricationist but I do enjoy doing things for myself. I think it helps me learn things quicker through experience but I am looking for an eaxle that requires less modification.

kirby said:
If you're looking at less fab than that I'm thinking your only options would be the 8.25 or d44 off of the cherokees. Good luck finding a 44 in the junk yard although there have been a few for sell here on NAXJA. The 8.25 are far more easy to find.

When I was at the yard I saw a 44 in a grand wagoneer would that be a direct swap in? Except needed a shorter driveshaft??

RVAXJ said:
When I was at the yard I saw a 44 in a grand wagoneer would that be a direct swap in? Except needed a shorter driveshaft??
The Waggy 44 is NOT a direct swap. You'd need to find a 44 from an XJ to not need any fab work.

If you want bolt-on, do what Kirby said and go D44 or 8.25. If you get an 8.25 out of a '97 or later, it has 29-spline axles and is almost as strong as the D44. As far as the front goes, you'll either have to fabricate a lot yourself, or put up a lot of money, or just stick with the D30 for now. If you've got a 5-speed and 3.07's, then it would be VERY cheap to get an 8.25 and a D30 with 3.55's, easy to find too. I tried to do that swap but with 4.10's. I succeeded on the rear but ended up having to spend money on the front, so if you want it super cheap and easy, go 3.55 D30 & 8.25.

I'd agree with the previous posts, depending on where you're form shoot me a pm and I might be able to find ya a 44 here in Indiana. I'm gonna be taking my 30 with 3.55's and a posi lock out in a week or two, or there are plenty around here.

Back