• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

crazy hydraulic longarm idea

andyr354

NAXJA Forum User
I was working on some stuff and had an interesting idea for the upper bracing links on a LA setup.

Take two short travel hydraulic cylinders and put them into the place of the upper links. Put to lines on them, running from the front of one to the back of the other and vice versa. Fill them with fluid and get all the air bled out, maybe by putting a T in each hose and hooking it to a temporary resivour.

Once the system is closed one cylinder has to get shorter for the other to get longer. When stufifing one whee the fluid could travel through the system allowing the system to flex better.

While in level road travel though they would not be able to change length.

I dunno, maybe I am just to bored :)

Could work, But i would be worried about it on road, what if you had a major pull one way and that caused that side to compress and also forced the other side to get longer at the same time, I think that would only make things worse on road, but then again i'm not sure how all that would work, The idea would work well if you could lock one cylinder maybe put a valve in a line or something and then open the valve when offroad. Good thinking though

Jerm S.

Wow, I've had the same idea. I've even done all the vector mechanics and drawn it up on my Pro E enigineering program. I'm just waiting to try it out. According to my caculations the axle would still be stressed but about 90% less than a regular suspension. I could just see that you couldn't drive it on the road what Mad MaXJ said, you'd have to use some really high quality rams and lines.
I pick up my cruiser this month, I'm going to start drawing plans to try out on it. I'll let you know if I decide to do it.

I myself have been toying with the idea. I already have the hydraulic schematics drawn up! I would be using mine for wheelbase adjustability. MOve your axle for and aft 5 to 7 inches would make a great difference in offroadability. As long as quality components are used, and a intelligent operater are at controls. Should be fine in any situation. Fluid does not compress so as long as your control valves are in the off position, your rams cannot move, period. Just a bunch of ideas. If I could figure how to put a pic on here, I could give you the schematics.

Matt

You would have to have some way to lock it up. If you hit a pot hole at speed you will get some nasty camber steer. You might get an unexpected off road trip!

I've done a variation on the idea. It uses one ram on the passenger side and a solid link on the drivers side. The lines go to two electrically actuated valves under the passenger seat with an accumulator off a Tee in between. Open the valves and you have more flex. Close the valves on the street to keep the solid link. I'm not sure how much difference it makes off road, haven't ramped it yet and I'm still limited by some short shocks. I just did it to eliminate the stresses on the axle end mounts. BTW I have driven about 10K miles on this setup as a daily driver and have had no problems whatsoever. I would not recomend two rams. You blow one line and you are screwed. The change in pinion angle could bind a U-joint and take a driveshaft or a pinion flange with it.
mattk

I'm not talking about any play in the system. I'm talking about what the system is designed to do. One side drops down lengthening the droped side and the other side reacts by shorting; chainging the camber + on one side and - on the other. Thereby turning the vehicle toward the direction of the dropped wheel. Probably invisible off road. But at 70 mph… :eyes:

I think it's a great idea. I'd run something like a lineloc to keep the fluid from flowing between the cylinders, and route the lines really carefully, but it would be badass when done. Go for it!

Back