• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

back at it with the exo build

Fullsizexj

NAXJA Forum User
Started working on it yesterday again, I am almost done with the front end now
1264258-P2190111.jpg

1264260-P2190112.jpg

1264262-P2190113.jpg

1264265-P2190114.jpg

1264266-P2190115.jpg

1264267-P2190116.jpg

Looks good, the only thing I don't like but it's the same on all exo's in the bar in front of the door running vertical, it just looks so out of place with the 90 deg it forms with the top bar. Nothing you can do about it though.

Weasel said:
Looks good, the only thing I don't like but it's the same on all exo's in the bar in front of the door running vertical, it just looks so out of place with the 90 deg it forms with the top bar. Nothing you can do about it though.
Yeah I know what ya mean, just no way to completly hide and exo, I plan to paint it with the rustolium hamerite black which blends really good with the color of my jeep so it should not be too noticable

Quick question:

It's hard to judge clearances from photos. Kinda looks like the driver's side mirror might be an interference fit against the vertical tube when the door swings open. Does it clear, or does the mirror limit the door swing if the mirror isn't folded back?

Eagle said:
Quick question:

It's hard to judge clearances from photos. Kinda looks like the driver's side mirror might be an interference fit against the vertical tube when the door swings open. Does it clear, or does the mirror limit the door swing if the mirror isn't folded back?
Nope everything clears, with the door all the way open I have about an 1/8th" clearance I had to tack weld and play with it until I could keep it as close to the body without interferring with the door, now the hood is a different story, I have about an inch to go before I can put the rod in the full open position so I will just make a new hole in the hood frame for that I wanted the cowl cross bar as low as posible.

I just don't want to get that involved in it, I really hate exo's to start with but they serve a purpose

Here is todays progress, All welding in the front is done,primered and, painted. The roof section was painted on the underside prior to install and will be painted with the rest once I finish it
1264734-P2200120.jpg

1264731-P2200119.jpg

1264730-P2200118.jpg

Thats a very clean install! Good job :yelclap:

AARON

Fullsizexj said:
now the hood is a different story, I have about an inch to go before I can put the rod in the full open position so I will just make a new hole in the hood frame for that I wanted the cowl cross bar as low as posible.

That was one of the most PITA pieces of my cage, I saved it for last and I didnt welded that one in till this last weekend.

I did two little bends about 20in apart from center, then another two bends where the DS whiper starts, those two bends were 45 degrees off axis, so bent down and back twards the windshield, Then the last 4.5in of tube is bent down and angle notched to hit the fender bar.. 6 bendes in 3 planes...SICK..

I got mine so it hugs the DS whiper by like 1/8in and the hood upens fullly.

I added a center vertical brace to the roof hoop since the spreader had so many bends...

ashmanjeepxj said:
That was one of the most PITA pieces of my cage, I saved it for last and I didnt welded that one in till this last weekend.

I did two little bends about 20in apart from center, then another two bends where the DS whiper starts, those two bends were 45 degrees off axis, so bent down and back twards the windshield, Then the last 4.5in of tube is bent down and angle notched to hit the fender bar.. 6 bendes in 3 planes...SICK..

I got mine so it hugs the DS whiper by like 1/8in and the hood upens fullly.

I added a center vertical brace to the roof hoop since the spreader had so many bends...
The one that is on is the second one, the first one cleared everything but dang, it sat so high that I just could not stand it, I would rather keep it low to the cowl and lose 1 inch of hood opening up, drilling another hole in the hood frame is no big deal. I thought about a ceter tube to the roof but decided not to

Fullsizexj said:
The one that is on is the second one, the first one cleared everything but dang, it sat so high that I just could not stand it, I would rather keep it low to the cowl and lose 1 inch of hood opening up, drilling another hole in the hood frame is no big deal. I thought about a ceter tube to the roof but decided not to

I got it sceond try with the same piece :D

aah, sleaving.

I was so close the first try, but the total length was 1in off, so after the test notching one side was higher then the other... I just cut it in the center and add a 12in long piece of 1.75in tube inside the 2in 120 tube. So its 1/4in thick in the center then add some 2in tube to the center. Since I already decided on the center bar to the roof, It coverted the cut and paste tube job.

I think some times sleaving the tube with a cut and paste is ok.

Back