• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How do I check engine codes on an 88?

Well, CheapXJ is sort of correct -- there are no STORED codes on an '87-'90.

The Renix EFI system does produce error codes, but they are available in real time only, they are not stored in the ECU for later retrieval. They can be read only if the problem occurs while you are hooked up to the scanner, which makes finding intermittent faults difficult. To make things worse, there are no inexpensive scanners that will read the Renix system. The scan tool the dealers used was very expensive, and many dealers have actually tossed them to make room on the shelf for more current equipment. Snap-On makes (or made) a scanner that would read the Renix system ... for around $3500.

Best way to diagnose the Renix system is to buy an inexpensive digital multi-meter and a factory service manual (FSM).

Eagle said:
Well, CheapXJ is sort of correct -- there are no STORED codes on an '87-'90.

The Renix EFI system does produce error codes, but they are available in real time only, they are not stored in the ECU for later retrieval. They can be read only if the problem occurs while you are hooked up to the scanner, which makes finding intermittent faults difficult. To make things worse, there are no inexpensive scanners that will read the Renix system. The scan tool the dealers used was very expensive, and many dealers have actually tossed them to make room on the shelf for more current equipment. Snap-On makes (or made) a scanner that would read the Renix system ... for around $3500.

Best way to diagnose the Renix system is to buy an inexpensive digital multi-meter and a factory service manual (FSM).

Some of the newer OBD2 scanners have extra cables that will allow you to plug into the older systems. A buddy of mine did this on his ’90. I believe the cable he used was labeled for a Chrysler car of some sort. He said it was a real pain because you had to wait for the problem to happen before you could get a code. I don’t know what brand the scanner was, its what ever the local hobby shop uses.

Back