• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ gear Ratio ????

joe88xj

NAXJA Forum User
I am regearing and am wondering if theres anybody out there with an XJ auto tranny running 4.56 gears and 33" tires who can tell me what rpm's they are runnin at highway speeds etc etc i have 4.10 gears now not yet installed which if i jump to 4.56's they will be for sale. anybody out there with the same specs as above runnin 4.10's wishing they had gone with 4.56's? i'd rather change my mind about the ratios before i install the 4.10's. TIA

JOE

joe88xj said:
I am regearing and am wondering if theres anybody out there with an XJ auto tranny running 4.56 gears and 33" tires who can tell me what rpm's they are runnin at highway speeds etc etc i have 4.10 gears now not yet installed which if i jump to 4.56's they will be for sale. anybody out there with the same specs as above runnin 4.10's wishing they had gone with 4.56's? i'd rather change my mind about the ratios before i install the 4.10's. TIA

JOE

I have a spreadsheet that works all that out for you. Send me a PM with your e-mail and I'll send it to you.

I'm not satisfied with my 4.10's. I've only had them for about 6 months and am already going to change them out tomorrow. The constant down shifting on the freeway drives me nuts.

I have 33" tires and 4.10's with the AW4. It works great for me on the highway and trail. Now I might sign a different song come this summer's trip to Utah. But at 65-70 I'm between 2000-2500rpm. I don't see myself going up to 35" on this XJ so 4.56gears aren't really needed for what I do. juice

Wait till you try going 80 on the freeways in utah it will drive you crazy. It downshifts about every few seconds and I heard that's good for gas mileage too!:gonnablow

juicexj24 said:
I have 33" tires and 4.10's with the AW4. It works great for me on the highway and trail. Now I might sign a different song come this summer's trip to Utah. But at 65-70 I'm between 2000-2500rpm. I don't see myself going up to 35" on this XJ so 4.56gears aren't really needed for what I do. juice

it'll run well beyond 85mph on the gauge without a problem for sure now. But trying to run that up and down mountains is a total other thing. Juice

juicexj24 said:
it'll run well beyond 85mph on the gauge without a problem for sure now. But trying to run that up and down mountains is a total other thing. Juice
The mountains and the altitude really make a difference! I live at 7000 ft, and it seriously robs the power from an engine. I have 4:10s and decided against 33s largely for that reason. I only lose 1/2" under the diffs with my 32s, and the engine stays in the powerband better. i run about 2500 rpm at 70-72 mph.

juicexj24 said:

juice, it you are seeing 2500 rpm around 65-70 with 4.10's, your torque convertor isn't locking up.

.71OD measured tire of 32.7 4.10 gears

65mph-1944
70mph-2094

.75 OD (91 and up)

65mph-2054
70mph-2212

thats what you should be running...

so either you haven't corrected your speedo accurately, or your torque convertor isn't locking up.

ya I still haven't gotten the speedo gear replaced yet. Dealer says the 36teeth I need is on national back order. Thanks for the info. Juice

Back