• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Labor costs

asatxj

NAXJA Forum User
I have a number of people who want me to put lifts on their Jeeps. Two own a furniture store and will gladly barter with me. Mrs. ASAT wants a new couch but I don't have a clue what labor for a lift kit would cost. Anyone give me some insight here? I certainly wouldn't charge "going rate" but want a good start point.
TIA

asatxj said:
I have a number of people who want me to put lifts on their Jeeps. Two own a furniture store and will gladly barter with me. Mrs. ASAT wants a new couch but I don't have a clue what labor for a lift kit would cost. Anyone give me some insight here? I certainly wouldn't charge "going rate" but want a good start point.
TIA
Not sure what you should charge, but don't over look the possible liability you will be accepting once you charge.

Yup, JnJ That's why the barter program. If a problem develops it's a customer service issue then.

I'd rather get jeep parts!! Don't drink :nono: not enough brain cells to waste. Since I teach I have to save all I can!

I know a guy who charges $100 an inch with your help. From what I've heard that is a pretty good deal. In my case, the RE4.5 in my garage is going to be put on by me, $450 is too much to spend on a lift installation when your in college.

A few shops in the Baltimore area charge between 300-450 for lift kits depending if it just a straight install. If you add other things, steering stabliler, sway bar discos. etc. the price goes up.
I just did mine myself and got the tools I needed, which in the long run is better. Teachings you how to do it if something breaks. I did charge my brother a pizzia and some Fosters for lifting his TJ Rubicon, oh and a free weekend at Paragon. Good deal for me. Juice

asatxj said:
TIA
if you do bater with them........keep in mind they should only have $400-$600 in that $1300 couch.......so if you charge them the "going rate" and they pay you with merchandise that is "marked up" then they are getting half off your rate......if you know them pretty good go for it if not .... think about their jeep falling of the jack stands .......or possibly lossing a bolt out of the trackbar while taking a curve at speed......in my own backyard i would charge a buddy $100-$150 to do a 3 inch front and rear spring replacement lift.....without his help.....$0 with his help and a case of beverages.....back in the day when i owned a body shop i would have charged a customer $300 - $400 depending on the complexity of the lift......

They are friends, I coach their kids in youth sports. Mrs. ASAT has known the wife for years. I'm sure he'll want to be of assistance so the whole deal won't be too big financial issue. They'll probably give me half off the couch ($700 to begin with) and that'll be fine with me. We never did any lifts when I ran body shops, don't know why either. Thanks for the input everyone. I'm afraid that Mrs. ASAT would say I was too cheap!! Now I can be more intelligent and stay out of trouble

most places charge 40-60 an hour...

The price I was quoted just South of Richmond VA was $400 for a Rusty's 4.5 lift. A couple shops said about 8 hr and 4-5 hundred dollars.

It took me a lot longer

Back