• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tire size?

Neil

NAXJA Forum User
I have an 87 4.0, auto with a D44 and about 6" of lift. Can I get away with running 35's for about 3 months untill I save enough money for a re-gear. I know how I should do it... re-gear and then tires, but my rig looks really stupid with the lift and 31's. Also I'm not breaking out the sawzall untill I get the tires on.
Beat it, kick it, pound it with a sledge.... Then lovingly weld it back together.

Yeah, with an automatic you'll get by.

XJCHUCK72 said:
Do most early select trac XJ models have 3.73 gearing?

Define "early" and efine "most."

I'd say the answer is no. Gear ratio in the '84 through '86 XJs could be 3.31, 3.54, 3.73 or 4.10. What ratio went in what vehicle seems to have been based more on black magic than on any system of logic I can determine. However, I'm fairly sure it was based more on engine and transmission than on transfer case.

Once we got to 1987, ratios were consistently 3.07 for 4.0L 5-speeds, 3.54 for 4.0L automatics, and 3.54, 3.73 or 4.10 for 2.5L 4-cylinders (3.54 being used in the 4-speed manuals).

My 88 auto 4.0 np242 is 3.5x gearing in the diffs.-

Back