• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Installing electric speedo

ARTSTER

NAXJA Forum User
Hello Everybody, I have a 86 cherokee with a 207, it comes with a mechanical speedometer, I want to swap it to a electric. Reason being is I would love to install all auto meter gauges and at the same time go away from the mechanical speedo. Could I just swap a 91 in a newer electric speedo pickup? Or is it best to stick with a mechanical speedo?
Thanx for any info you guys have.

Thanx Art

To go to the 91 and up speedo.......

you would have to switch to the 231 with the proper sending unit and the wire harness in the body at teh very least. I could be wrong but I believe the sender is connected to the engine computer too.

There are actually aftermarket units to convert a mechanical system to an electronic one, and it has the added bonus of being adjustable for any tire and or gear ratio you have without ever having to buy speedo gears again. I even think Autometer makes one.

XJguy

Back