• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ has developed a new jolt

Kittrell

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
Okay guys, I am stumped on this one. My XJ has just recently started doing this. It started at about 50mph and has slowly spread out to 45-55mph. It is a semi harsh jolt, front to back, and it just keeps doing it, back and forth, back and forth. My only guess was that maybe my tranny is slipping in and out of 4th. I'm not sure what it is, any ideas??

And just for some background, 94 XJ 3.5 RE SF lift, 31" Muds, stock everything else (140k..)

My 87 did this same thing. I can't believe somebody else is have this same bizzar problem. I have no idea what fixed mine. I replaced all the vacuum lines and it started. It just went away after about 6 months of doing it. No mechanical changes were made.

Kenny

Well I went out for a drive. I drove around in 'D' until it would start and then I would shift down into '3' and it would stop. As soon as I would shift back into 'D' it would start again. And I also tried, shifting through up to '3' and it never did it, but then as soon as I would put it back in 'D' it would start again.....

91 Jeep Project said:
Well I went out for a drive. I drove around in 'D' until it would start and then I would shift down into '3' and it would stop. As soon as I would shift back into 'D' it would start again. And I also tried, shifting through up to '3' and it never did it, but then as soon as I would put it back in 'D' it would start again.....

what does the tachometer do when this happens?

check

to see if you threw a wheel weight (in the speed zone u describe could cause wobble of a wheel and transmit vibes back through)
wheel bearing
ball joints
driveshaft u joints, front and rear
front axle u joints
rear bearings

Majo said:
check

to see if you threw a wheel weight (in the speed zone u describe could cause wobble of a wheel and transmit vibes back through)
wheel bearing
ball joints
driveshaft u joints, front and rear
front axle u joints
rear bearings

Wow, that is alot of stuff. I will try and tackle it all, I live in a dorm, so anything and everything has to be done in the parking lot, plus there is still some snow on the ground...

sounds like a tc lock up . not sure if they have a lock up but when the solenoid goes they will lock the tc solid or pulse wich will let the tc slip and the relock maybe what the problem is

Back