• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How do I remove the factory crossbars?

@dam

NAXJA Forum User
I just got a good deal on a Yakima Space Case and 1A gutter mount rack used. I think the factory crossbars will interfere with the box, plus they are redundandt now that I have the Yakima rack. Does anybody know how to take these things off?

I tried removing the little plastic end cap, put it feels like it'll snap before it'll budge, and I want to keep the siderails up there so I don't wind up with a roof full of holes.

what year are you dealing with. The older style, 84-90? just have a torx bolt to undo and the end cap comes off. If it's the newer style. No Idea. Juice

Okie Terry said:
Remove either end cap on both sides and slide them off.

Mine is a 95. I removed the torx bolt on the rail, and the plastic end clap would really slide around, but it wouldn't actually come off. Is therre like a tab I need to push in or some sort of interference positive retention feature or something?

@dam said:
Mine is a 95. I removed the torx bolt on the rail, and the plastic end clap would really slide around, but it wouldn't actually come off. Is therre like a tab I need to push in or some sort of interference positive retention feature or something?
It should come off without prying. Try the other end.

@dam said:

My 2001 had a little plastic pin. The kind that looks hairy and sticks real good in the plastic cap into the rail and roof. A little persuasion got it loose. It helped to loosen the back 2 or 3 torx screws first. Its then easy to slide the rails off. Its also easy to slide them back on if need be.

Bill

Exactly...

wilewil said:
My 2001 had a little plastic pin. The kind that looks hairy and sticks real good in the plastic cap into the rail and roof. A little persuasion got it loose. It helped to loosen the back 2 or 3 torx screws first. Its then easy to slide the rails off. Its also easy to slide them back on if need be.

Bill

Loosening up 3 per side will allow that clip to come out.
Made me nervous the first time, too.
Hasta.

Back