• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What's this and why's it leaking.

5Cent

NAXJA Forum User
Looks to be something w/ the heater since the heater hose from the radiator connects to it. Why's it leakin antifreeze? Just put in a new CSF 3 row, new tstat, tstat housing and waterpump. I need a new overflow bottle since there's sludge in the bottom, and if i fill it up, it all leaks out, and if i don't, none ever goes in there. I should say the jeep runs fine and the temps used to be about 210 before it overheated b/c the waterpump went. Well new radiator was soon in store. It used to run 165-70ish so I just got done trying to replace the temp switch since the top plastic part was coming off the base, but now it's broken in half, so no temp.
117012782HUpllP_ph.jpg

117012613QYcMkg_ph.jpg

Easy - heater control valve. You shouldn't have too much trouble finding one at your local, they're pretty widely available.

The crimp in the valve body wears due to vibration, and you get a leak just like you are seeing now. It's not a "maintenance item," which is why you don't spot it until it fails.

It's a pretty simple matter to replace, especially if your heater hoses aren't crimped to it. If you have the spring clamps from the factory still on it, replace them with worm drives while you have it torn to bits...

5-90

5-90 said:
Easy - heater control valve. You shouldn't have too much trouble finding one at your local, they're pretty widely available.

The crimp in the valve body wears due to vibration, and you get a leak just like you are seeing now. It's not a "maintenance item," which is why you don't spot it until it fails.

It's a pretty simple matter to replace, especially if your heater hoses aren't crimped to it. If you have the spring clamps from the factory still on it, replace them with worm drives while you have it torn to bits...

5-90
Ditto, I've never had one that I didn't have to replace. I think it's like $12.00 or near that at A-Zone, O'Rs, or Napa.

Okie Terry said:
Ditto, I've never had one that I didn't have to replace. I think it's like $12.00 or near that at A-Zone, O'Rs, or Napa.

Great. Looks to still be spring clamps. When you say worm clamps, same thing as regular hose clamps?LOL, still learning. Also, which hose has coolant in it and does it drain pretty good?

5Cent said:
Great. Looks to still be spring clamps. When you say worm clamps, same thing as regular hose clamps?LOL, still learning. Also, which hose has coolant in it and does it drain pretty good?
I use regular worm gear type hose clamps personally.

They all have coolant in them except for the tiny vacuum hose. And it'll drain down to the level of the lowest open hose.

Okie Terry said:
I use regular worm gear type hose clamps personally.

They all have coolant in them except for the tiny vacuum hose. And it'll drain down to the level of the lowest open hose.

Thanks. Just curious, you see my other post about a broken temp switch still in block. If ya haven't, I need some help man!

And do the pics show up?

Pics? What pics. I don't see any pics, but I run Netscape. They might show up for the folks running IE.

It would help to know what year XJ you have. There are two cooling systems, with the one covering 1987 thru 1990 being rather different than the one used from 1991 on.

Eagle said:
Pics? What pics. I don't see any pics, but I run Netscape. They might show up for the folks running IE.

It would help to know what year XJ you have. There are two cooling systems, with the one covering 1987 thru 1990 being rather different than the one used from 1991 on.

Sorry,didn't add the sig. It's a 92, open cooling system. How much coolant could I lose through this? Doesn't look to be much. I'm dealing w/ a broken temp switch in the block at the moment :confused1

Eagle said:

This is true. However you just install the new one the same way the old one came out.

All I saw was red x's until I got the addy from their properties and went to webshots. Now they show up for me on this thread.

Back