• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

leaf spring bolt stuck HELP!!!

XJ92jeep

NAXJA Forum User
The forward bolt's nut has broken loose inside the frame. I cut a square out of the bottom of the bracket to get a wrench on it now the nut is stripped out. What should I do now??

TIA,
Dave

I had the same thing happen. I took a grinder (or you can use a hacksaw) to cut off the head of the bolt. You will have to bend out the outboard side of the bracket so you can slip off the springs from the bolt. You will then have to cut off the rest of the bolt near the frame so you can get the rest of the bolt and nut out of the frame. Once this is out, bend bracket back. You have weakend the strength of the bracket by bending it so you need to weld in a reinforcement on the outside. I then welded up the section I cut out of the frame and drilled a whole on the inside of the frame aligned with wholes in the mount. You will need a large washer or a backing plate (3"x3"x1/8" steel). Buy a new bolt, washers, and a nut and you should be ready to go. I did this about a year and a half ago and it's still running strong with no stress cracks or bending. Good luck!

If anyone has any other ways to do it, please tell us. i"m fixing to buy another XJ and if i run into the same problem again, i would like an easier way to fix this.

This comes up from time to time. This is cut from a response a while back from Aaron Storms on the the Colorado XJ group: "Unfortunately this is actually pretty common, especially on older xj's. If I have to cut the big hanger bolt off to get the leaf springs out, I then flip up the back seat, peel up the carpet and plastic moisture barrier, then determine where the "frame" indentation is and cut a 3-sided door or access hole inside the frame area. This way you can remove what's left of the bolt end and nut, then have a place to get a wrench on the new nylon locking nut you're going to put on the end of that big 6" bolt you're going to buy to replace the old bolt you just cut off...:) I usually use axle grease on the bolt shaft where it slides inside of your new leaf eye. When it's all tightened down good, bend your access door back down, replace the plastic and carpet, fold seat down and all is well...and you've managed to keep most of the moisture and junk out of your frame rail without compromising the strength of the "frame." The hardest part was to figure out what was the best solution all these years!"

I had the same problem. I cut the old bolt off and got a new "flanged" nut and cut a hole just big enough to get the nut to fit flush in the mount and then TIG welded the nut in place because I didn't want ot drill through the main frame rail and have to reinforce anything. I've had the Jeep for about four years now running 35's without a problem. The trick is to soak everything with a good penetreting lube a few times a week for a month before you want to take anything apart. Good luck.

cofredg said:
This comes up from time to time. This is cut from a response a while back from Aaron Storms on the the Colorado XJ group: "Unfortunately this is actually pretty common, especially on older xj's. If I have to cut the big hanger bolt off to get the leaf springs out, I then flip up the back seat, peel up the carpet and plastic moisture barrier, then determine where the "frame" indentation is and cut a 3-sided door or access hole inside the frame area. This way you can remove what's left of the bolt end and nut, then have a place to get a wrench on the new nylon locking nut you're going to put on the end of that big 6" bolt you're going to buy to replace the old bolt you just cut off...:) I usually use axle grease on the bolt shaft where it slides inside of your new leaf eye. When it's all tightened down good, bend your access door back down, replace the plastic and carpet, fold seat down and all is well...and you've managed to keep most of the moisture and junk out of your frame rail without compromising the strength of the "frame." The hardest part was to figure out what was the best solution all these years!"

Does this work? Anyone have pictures of this? I'm skeptical, but have a broken leaf spring nut and no solutions... any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

To answer my own question, no, it doesnt work. The whole in the pocket isn't big enough to get a socket on the nut anyway, so regardless you will end up drilling through the side of the frame.

this method worked for me last week... i used a sawzall to cut the bolt on both sides of the leaf pack.. then used an air-hammer to punch the frozen bolt out of the frame.. cut the trap door under the seat and also had to cut the inner wall of the frame rail because it is double-walled.. big nut and washer tackwelded in place and its ready to rock and roll..

sidriptide said:
also had to cut the inner wall of the frame rail because it is double-walled

So did you actually cut into the pocket from the top? how deep is it? This would sure be easier than using a hole saw, especcially since I just cut trap door there.

Would you mind opening your trap door and taking some pictures for me?

wow, that sounded terrible.

Back