• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

With all of These Bigger Tires and Performance Mods, Who Upgrades Their Brakes?

AJ-MJ

NAXJA Forum User
In 1980 I fliped my CJ5. :huh: That was right after I could not stop it in a timely manner. I will always remember that moment. A roll bar and seat belt saved my life for sure! :nono:

Are better brakes needed with 33s or 35s? Who and how should one approach this?

Thoughs and ideas please.

Are better brakes needed with 33s or 35s?

In a word Yes

As for how to do it there are several ways. You can go custom or source out side of the XJ/MJ world (like ZJ's or Navajo's) or you can upgrade your MC and Booster to a '96 unit out of an XJ. The dual diaphragm set up will improve your brake performance. I would also suggest stepping up to rear discs with the 33's or larger tires.

Bones :skull1:

I'm running 38.5" Swampers. I've got dual piston one-ton Ford front discs and 3/4 ton Chevy discs on the rear 14B. Using an E350 M/C and all braided lines front & rear. Stops on a dime & gives you change even with the big tires.

-jb

I'm only running 31's but have upgraded my front brakes. Slotted front rotors, carbon fiber pads, and braided lines all around. Will swap boosters some time.

For the guys that are running WJ and ZJ rear brakes; is that on Dana 44 rears? I’m running a ’91 with a Dana 35 rear and the dreaded Bendix ABS. Is there any brake upgrade that you can do to the stock Dana 35 rear with 9” drums (easy disc conversion, etc.)? I’ve already upgraded to stainless braided lines and top of the line pads and shoes. A vast improvement over stock, but I’d like a little more braking power when I go to 33” tires.

ZJ rear

You can do the ZJ rear on a D35. Find a wrecked ZJ in the junk yard with a D35 and get all the brake hardware. It works........... I did both the ZJ back and the WJ front at the same time, so don't know what just the back wil do for ya. The front is a lot of work and expense, but I'm sure that is where I got the most braking power. The rear is only 30% of your braking power on a good day any way and lets say the disk are 50% more powerful than the drums, that is around 15% improvement. Not good. Disk are nice because of the low mainenance, like in muddy conditions etc. One thing you could do, like myself is with the rear disk, is modify (I installed a adjustable one) the proportional valve so it does not limit the rear brakes in hard braking, that is its job, so you will still track streight. But with it limited, you do have less braking power, unlinited, less control. But if you can't lock up the brakes, it will probably track streight any way, if there are not other problems.

james
http://www.geocities.com/jammerjamesharmon/

Does anyone make an upgraded 2 or 4 piston caliper for the stock setup? That might be easier and with the added rear disk it should be plenty.
Keith

Wiley Coyote said:
For the guys that are running WJ and ZJ rear brakes; is that on Dana 44 rears? I’m running a ’91 with a Dana 35 rear and the dreaded Bendix ABS. Is there any brake upgrade that you can do to the stock Dana 35 rear with 9” drums (easy disc conversion, etc.)? I’ve already upgraded to stainless braided lines and top of the line pads and shoes. A vast improvement over stock, but I’d like a little more braking power when I go to 33” tires.

The best upgrade you can do is to get rid of the Bendix ABS and install a non-ABS Booster and MC from a '96 XJ. The ZJ disc stuff can be adapted to the 35 C-clip axle easier than the D44 IIRC. When I swapped out my ABS for a non-ABS system, I went to a D44 at the same time so I don't know if the ABS or stock 35 wheel cyl had the largest inside diameter. If you do the ABS R&R I would go with whichever WC had the biggest ID (I'm guessing it's the non-ABS one but DO NOT know for sure)

Bones :skull1:

:D Get bigger axles so you will have bigger brakes :D

XJoachim said:
:D Get bigger axles so you will have bigger brakes :D

exactly....

gotta love 3/4 ton dual piston calipers, and 13" discs...actually, the problem with my brakes is that they are too good. I gotta put some air in the system!

I went to a Currie 9" with exploder disks when I went to 33" tires. Now that I'm running 315's, I upgraded to WJ knuckles/calipers in the front. I'm still breaking in the new front set-up, but it feels much like it did when I was running 31's with the stock set-up. It seems to be a good mod, but when you add up 16" rims, knuckles, new steering, it get's kinda pricy. Still, I'd rather see my hard earned $ go to aftermarket manufactures than to the gov't man. :wantyou:

Back