• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

12V or 14V and amp choosing

Jeremyvnc

NAXJA Forum User
My current setup in my xj is a pioneer premier DEH-750MP head unit(22W rms and (3) 6.5 V pre-outs), 6.5'' Alpine speakers instead of 5.25'' up front (to fill holes in my doors left by previous owner) and my homemade box filled with 2 6x9's and a 10'' sub. What I'd like to do is get an amp to power at least the 2 6x9's and the sub. If I could I would power all of my speakers. And BTW the previous owner decided not to leave me the soundbar (dick).

So, what amp should I get? I've seen 4 channel amps (2channels for 6x9's and bridge last 2 for sub) and I've seen an alpine amp that I guess has 5 channels (one extra for sub).

Also, should I bump up to a 14.4V battery? would I notice a gain? Would it harm anyother component on my car (ie spark plugs, pickup coil, radio)?

Most automotive batteries will source 13.5V with a full charge in good condition, and expect an alternator in good working order to give you a solid 14V or so. Current is the issue - so if you plan on running a lot of sound, plan on an alternator upgrade.

As far as amp selection, I generally prefer to run separate amps on each band (make sure they have crossovers, or add them.)

I don't have any experience with the newer multiband amps, so I can't give you any advice there...

5-90

I'd recommend getting a batcap, that will save your battery. You can find them on ebay. I would take an MTX amp over an Alpine anyday. That is about all though, for I'm running an Alpine headunit and Type-R components in the front and rear.

Make sure you run a seperate amp for your sub. Go with 2 2-channels or a 4-channel, doesn't really matter. If you have the space go 2-channel, if not go 4.

Just my 2cents.

evilpresence said:
I'd recommend getting a batcap, that will save your battery. You can find them on ebay. I would take an MTX amp over an Alpine anyday. That is about all though, for I'm running an Alpine headunit and Type-R components in the front and rear.

Make sure you run a seperate amp for your sub. Go with 2 2-channels or a 4-channel, doesn't really matter. If you have the space go 2-channel, if not go 4.[\QUOTE]

I really wanted to stay to one amp if I could and just have some nice crossovers in it or around it. I'm wired for an amp already (power) but have never hooked one up to speakers. what should I watch for or look for?

The multi channels are good for running just about any speaker set up. The Ideal situation would be to have a small amp for you speakers and then one just for your sub. You can get pretty much anything to work, it all depends on how well you want your stereo to perform. Me, personally I like the Kenwood amps and I have been running a 2 channel for a while to power my Eclipse sub, but no other speakers. In my old vehicle, I did have a 2 channel powering up some 6 1/2"'s and a 10" sub and it worked decent. I have to totally agree with the idea of running a batcap, they work awesome especially if you are running a stock alt. They keep your lights from dimming and your amp from crapping out when it draws alot of power. It also sounds as though your Jeep has been previously wired, make sure that whatever gage wiring that it has will be compatible with the power it will see, there are alot of stupid people that try to run like 500 amps through a 14ga wire, so you might wanna check that.

Back