• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

max h4 wattage w/stock harness?

JGXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Going to get Hella E-codes for stock '89 xj w/200K miles. What's the max wattage bulb, 60/55w, 100/55w, 100/80w, I could effectively get away with w/o replacing stock harness. Is anything past the 60/55w bulb a waste due to diminishing returns with the stock harness?

I have 55W low beams, 100W high beams. Roasted a headlight switch after 3 hours running on the high beams.

You may see a noticeable difference with the relay harness even with the stock wattage lamps.

Let there be light...

You should build yourself a new relay setup, its not pricey and "WELL" worth the improved lighting returns. Somebody should be able to show you a link to the schematic.
Sean

ROCKWGN said:
You should build yourself a new relay setup, its not pricey and "WELL" worth the improved lighting returns. Somebody should be able to show you a link to the schematic.
Sean

That would be very kind of someone. :D :worship: To post a schematic and parts list.

My wife runs 55/80, and that's been for the last two years.

A relay harness is not that difficult to build - and it can ALL go under the hood. Use one of the stock headlamp sockets to drive the relays, and keep all the wiring short.

Also, I find that using 12/3 rubber-jacketed extension cord is the easiest and probably best way to handle this. That's what I used, and I run 90/130's with no trouble (for the last two years...)

5-90

I have a 90' and I do not have a relay for the headlights. I did put one in though. The driver’s side headlight will have 2 LT Grn wires (low Beam) and 2 White wires (high Beam) with a black ground. This where DC spliced into for the passenger side headlight.

Buy your relays at http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog_name=CTLG&product_id=275-226

If you would like to add relays here is a diagram from when I did an H4 conversion for brighter lights and I am not running all the current through my 14 year old headlight switch.

Low_beam_headlight_wiring.gif

Lunatic728 said:
I have a 90' and I do not have a relay for the headlights. I did put one in though. The driver’s side headlight will have 2 LT Grn wires (low Beam) and 2 White wires (high Beam) with a black ground. This where DC spliced into for the passenger side headlight.

Buy your relays at http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog_name=CTLG&product_id=275-226

If you would like to add relays here is a diagram from when I did an H4 conversion for brighter lights and I am not running all the current through my 14 year old headlight switch.

That's great thanX Lunatic728.

What size fuse in you schematic? 15A or 30A?? Is it one of those inline type?

I just printed out the diagram and noticed that it's for Low beam Headlight, what do you do for High Beam?

Last edited:
I used 20amp inline fuse for the 12v hot feed.

As for the diagram of the high beam just sub where the green wire is with white or at least on my 90. Both are spiced off of the driver’s side headlight connector. I don’t use solder less connectors I use solder and heat shrink.

Green is low and white is high beam.

Uh, no. I'm not paying $6 when I can get them for $2. http://www.partsexpress.com and search for relay. Bosch 30A for $1.99, generics for $0.99.

The reason I buy from radio shack is because they are right down the street I don’t have to wait for the part to arrive, shipping, and a chance to get the wrong part and if I have a defective one I just take it back. For the couple of bucks I would save using partsexpress I don’t think it would be worth it. I use the website just as a reference of what relay you are looking for.

Lunatic728 said:
The reason I buy from radio shack is because they are right down the street I don’t have to wait for the part to arrive, shipping, and a chance to get the wrong part and if I have a defective one I just take it back. For the couple of bucks I would save using partsexpress I don’t think it would be worth it. I use the website just as a reference of what relay you are looking for.

I don't use RS because I've had problems with 12v parts from them. I don't worry about Bosch.

Radio Shack. You've got questions. We've still got dumb looks.

Back