• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Steering shaft bushing play

xjbmx

NAXJA Forum User
On the steering shaft that connects the box to the column, there is a rubber bushing/isolator that when it's cold (below 40 deg) slips and allows the shaft to turn( in respect to the other half of the shaft) 1/8 of a turn-as viewed from the drivers side under the master cylinder- all is fine when it's heated up by the manifold,there is no slippage. Anyone have this problem before? Checking wrecking yards for a replacement. Anyone bought one before?

xjbmx said:
Btt -Any ideas other than replacement?

Yep. My MIG fixed that thing right up! Cost: $0.00. The thing drives great. I have not noticed any ill effects from doing this. I might even weld-up my perfectly good shaft on the race car...

It is unsafe to weld up the steering shaft. I would replace the shaft today if it was any vehicle I owned. By welding the shaft you have taken the steering column safety back to 1920.

The reason for the steering shaft being able to adjust length is collision safety. Before they went to the adjustable lenght shaft people were being killed in front end collisions by the steering column going into the driver's chest.

I would replace the shaft with one that servicable. I think I have seen a company called borgeson selling shafts for XJs but don't see it listed on their web site. I'd drop them an email but for $225 they will sell one for a Wranger so the XJ should be close to the same price.

If you want your steering column to collapse your chest in an accident then weld the shaft, if not then replace it with a good quality shaft.

Back