• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

anyone did a remote fuel door opener mod?

dogtired

NAXJA Forum User
like the title says... anyone did a remote fuel door opener? I think it is a pain in the butt to get the keys out to unlock the gas cap to fill up every time. any suggestions? would like to keep the mod unoticeable to the untrained eye :viking:

I've been here a couple years and haven't heard of anyone doing that.

I'd say hit the junkyards and pull a setup out of another vehicle and rig it up.

You'll be a pioneer

but I don't wanna be a pioneer, just wanted to sponge off others and do it painlessly, that's the reason for this post :laugh:

seriously, I will stop on by a bone yard after work and look, thanks for the advice... :wstupid: how come I didn't think of that in the first place? too freakin early, been awake since 4am.

dogtired said:
like the title says... anyone did a remote fuel door opener? I think it is a pain in the butt to get the keys out to unlock the gas cap to fill up every time. any suggestions? would like to keep the mod unoticeable to the untrained eye :viking:

How about getting a gas door without a key.

BTW what year came with a key lock on a XJ? I don't think I've ever seen one. I'll have to look now. :D

mark

Mark Hinkley said:
How about getting a gas door without a key.

BTW what year came with a key lock on a XJ? I don't think I've ever seen one. I'll have to look now. :D

mark

he's probly just got one of them locking Gas caps,
i've never seen any Xj or Jeep for that matter w/ a locking gas filler door..

:dunno:

dogtired said:

It would be nice to lock the gas cap. (I know I'd have to by one, but tha'dtake away from other nessesities.)

You are one lazy mofo...

Punks around here don't bother stealing gas. They just take the whole car. Simple fix, I just replaced the locking cap with a non-locking one.

I have a locking gas cap because of safety. The punk ass kids who live or used to live in my neighborhood like to pull stupid shit like put sugar in the gas tank. It hasnt been a problem in the last few years but vandalism was really bad because of a few kids. One moved out and the other got shot so everything is peachy now.

AARON

Beezil said:
were you thinking of this mod as a sort of theft deterrent?
not a theft deterrent, but convinence, as CajunCherokee has put it so eloquently "You are one lazy mofo..." :conceited ;)

was just wondering if anyone did it, or not, a simple question.

I saw some Mopar gas locks on sale on ebay for 11 bux I think, it is just a pain to fumble with keys at night or in the snow or rain when you can open it remotely from inside the car and pop the gas pump and save a few seconds of out being in the cold, rain, sleet... etc.

MrShoeBoy said:
It hasnt been a problem in the last few years but vandalism was really bad because of a few kids. One moved out and the other got shot so everything is peachy now.

AARON
the one who got shot... did he die?

dogtired said:
the one who got shot... did he die?

Yes. He got involved with a gang and then ratted them out to the police. Well the gang didnt like that too much so he got one to the back of the scull. The police claimed it was suicide but it was really gang execution style. He was a problem a few years back before he moved out of his parents house and thats when he got shot. So the shooting wasnt in the neighborhood thankfully.

AARON

MrShoeBoy said:
Yes. He got involved with a gang and then ratted them out to the police. Well the gang didnt like that too much so he got one to the back of the scull. The police claimed it was suicide but it was really gang execution style. He was a problem a few years back before he moved out of his parents house and thats when he got shot. So the shooting wasnt in the neighborhood thankfully.

AARON
oh.. so sorry. criminal or not... what a waste :(

90's Caravans have this option. Good long cable, cute little lever bolts to the floor next to the outside of the dr's seat. Spring loaded flap pops out when released. 13 year old Chrysler parts still work, unlike some of Renault's.

Great idea. Take pictures when you do the job . . .

go to the stealership and see if they sell the guts from a zj. it's not a cheap thought but it's a thought.

If you cant find a caravan, try looking at the cable for a hood release. Every vehicle has a hood release so it might be easier to take one from a hood than a gas door specific latch.

dogtired said:
oh.. so sorry. criminal or not... what a waste :(

Not really. If this guy didnt get shot, he would have ended up in prison for the rest of his life. I would rather him be shot, because its cheaper for us tax payers in the long run. This is a totally hard and crass remark but he was one of thoes people who would never amount to anything and just be a leach on society. Some people can be rehabilatated but this guy wasnt one of them.

AARON

Back