• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

EGR Question

NHXJer

NAXJA Forum User
Hey All:

I've got a problem with my EGR system on my 88 Limited:

The vacumm line to the EGR motor is disconnected - when I plug it in, the EGR motor fully opens and the engine dies right away.

I thought the EGR is supposed to be closed at idle? Why is the EGR opening right away?

I have been having a stuttering problem under light throttle - during both acceleration and decel - wondering if this could be related?

Thanks,
Chris

Sounds like the EGR solenoid (driver's side fenderwell) is staying open. I'd have to look up which circuit(s) control that, but the 4.0 will run just fine without the EGR until/if you get it fixed. That, you don't have to worry about until if/when you get smogged next time.

Anyone with their FSMs handy want to chime in? Mine are still in a box somewhere...

5-90

The EGR on my '90 went bad a couple of years ago. The engine wouldn't idle, just died. If I unplugged the vacuum line and plugged it, it ran just fine. I found another at the wreckers and all's been well since.
I recall someone saying that the EGR valve can be cleaned, as they just get carboned up. Don't know if this would work or not.

If I remember rightly (5-90 can correct me if not), I think the egr solenoid on these defaults to open, which means that if it's burned out or not operating (or perhaps pysically melted inside), you'll get the symptom described. If vacuum operates the valve itself, I don't think the problem is in that.

OK, so mine's disconnected - doesn't sound like all that big of a deal judging by how many here are running with the EGR disconnected.

So if this isn't causing my stuttering problem - what could it be?
I have already replaced the wires, plugs, cap, rotor, and u-joints but still have the bucking.

Chris

Back