• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

electrical snag

jetranger_2000

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 95 xj and everytime it snows or its wet out my charging system acts up. Everything is going good then all of a sudden the volts gauge goes to about 9vlt from 14vlts. This seems to happen when Im not on the gas. The I push on the gas and get a strange wishy washy(WERSH if you say this thats the sound continuously :looney: ) sound and then the volts go back up. This happens on and off while driving in the wet.
Whats the deal.
I removed and cleaned my alternator in september and put on a new water pump and serpentine belt all in the same time.
any help would be great

sounds like a bad alternertor or voltage regulator. I am not sure if they are all in one unit or seperate on your XJ. I'd replace both and that should solve your problem.

I learned on my 69 Camero the hard way that you have to change the voltage regulator if you change the alternator. So if they are seperate change both.

Isn't thqt voltqge reg in the 91-96 XJ's in the CPU? I'm farily certain its not in the alt. At least that is what one shop told me.

Ghost said:
Isn't thqt voltqge reg in the 91-96 XJ's in the CPU? I'm farily certain its not in the alt. At least that is what one shop told me.

Yes, the regulator is in the ECU (or cpu, or ecp or whatever the terminology of the day is - yeah, it's in the black box).

If it makes a noise and kicks back in when you rev it, it's usually a symptom of belt slipping.

Back