• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

need to remove 1 qt auto tranny fluid

lapaul

NAXJA Forum User
In course of trying to find out why my transmission wouldn't shift out of first
(seems to have been wet Throttle position sensor) I put in an extra quart of tranny fluid (I also had had a tranny hose leak).

Now I have a quart too much fluid, and am told I'd better drain it before any serious driving.

Can I put a hose down the dipstick pipe and pump out a quart. Any better suggestions, as to how to drain a quart.

Pumping it out the dip stick tube works if you have the pump already; otherwise, just pull the drain plug and drain out a quart.

I accidentally overfilled mine and it just blew out from somewhere all over the bottom of the truck and it's fine now.

Letting it puke out can be a fire hazard if it pukes on the exhaust. It's worth draining out unless you just want an oily mess.

pull the plug and let it drain out and reinstall it. Then top it off as needed to the right level.

mark

Some XJs don't have a drain plug in the tranny pan. I'm guessing his is one of these.

To the best of my knowledge, ALL XJ's equipped with the AW-4 have drain plug.

Did XJ's equipped with the GM-supplied 2.8 use the AW-4, or something else. That trans. might not have a drain plug.

You could disconnect one of the trans cooling lines from the radiator,start the engine and pump it into a can.

I bought a siphon pump and did manage to pump out the extra quart.

It took a while since the transmissionn fluid came up mixed with air when I pumped and it took at least 1/2 hour to pump it out (not sure why I sucked all that air up when I pumped, but this method does work)

We had a "vampire" pump in the motorpool that drew off or added about 1 qt IIRC. (Picture a big steel syringe with assorted hoses instead of a needle) These are also great for filling axles & gearboxes...

Speaking of that, Vet-size syringes (or momma's turkey baster) work great for removing old brake fluid, adding boat outdrive tilt juice & other small jobs.

Back