• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Will an OBDII scanner work on a '96 XJ?

SimpleXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I've got the haynes and alldata diagrams, they say to hook up the DRB tool. All I can get at my local store is something called an OBDII scan tool. I am wonderining if this is the same thing and will it work on my jeep. The scan tool says it will work on '96-01 american vehicles. The date tag in my XJ says 8/95 but the title says its a 96. What I wanna know is will the scan tool work on this thing? Where is the engine diagnostics plug?

Thank You

Simplexj

Yes, the 96 XJ has OBDII and your OBDII tool will plug into it. The DLC (data link connector) is located under the dash/steering wheel.
Whether or not the device will extract the info you need is another story. Consult the product manual.

JEEPZZ said:
Yes, the 96 XJ has OBDII and your OBDII tool will plug into it. The DLC (data link connector) is located under the dash/steering wheel.
Whether or not the device will extract the info you need is another story. Consult the product manual.

OK, I think that 96 was the crossover year where some are ODBII and some ODBI. Look on your emisions sticker inside the engine bay (IIRC it's located on the drivers side towards teh windshield) and see if it says ODBI or ODBII on it. Now I would also venture a guess that the plugs are different for each one.... and yours should be located below the steering wheel (way below), kind of underneath (hard to explain: just stick your head towards the pedals and look up towards the front)

yes. i have a 1996 XJ and have successully used a OBDII scanner to exctract codes

you can also use it wihile the engine is running and see accurate (digital) gauge reading for all of your gauges (and then some!)

its actually kind of fun to play with if u have the time
(also helps to have a mechanic buddy to let u borrow the tool :)

CaptTrev said:
yes. i have a 1996 XJ and have successully used a OBDII scanner to exctract codes

you can also use it wihile the engine is running and see accurate (digital) gauge reading for all of your gauges (and then some!)

its actually kind of fun to play with if u have the time
(also helps to have a mechanic buddy to let u borrow the tool :)

Well, actually I bought the cheaper kind... the only kind the store had. This one doesn't monitor the guages live like the snap-on type scanner you borrowed. That would be nice to have but its a coupla grand for one of those. The one I bought is a step up from the check engine light flashing and even it was $150! Anyway, I got it, used it, it worked, now to figure out why I'm getting TPS error codes when the sensor is new.

Thanks for your help guys

SimpleXJ

Kejtar said:
OK, I think that 96 was the crossover year where some are ODBII and some
Actually the crossover year was 95. Some 95 vehicles (not Jeep products though) had OBDII while others had OBDI. Federal law mandated that all vehicles being sold in the U.S. that were a '96 model year and newer were required to be OBDII compliant. The '96 OBDII mandate came out a few years earlier, so some manufacturers jumped on the ball early to get a headstart, thus the '95 "crossover year". ;)

I have an new OBDII scanner that I never used. It will hook up under your dash and display the codes on the LED screen. You can use it to read and erase codes. It also comes with a manual to look up all the codes for any OBDII car/truck.

Email me if you are interested.

[email protected]

Back