• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Upgrading axles 5 on 4.5 or 5 on 5.5?

ZachMan

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Memorial Lifetime Member
I found many nodular 31 spline big bearing 9" axles. One of which is a 1980 and is a rare 5 on 4.5 bolt pattern. My question is should I use this axle or one of the others that are 5 on 5.5? They are all 31 spline and big bearing.

I still have my d30 up front which is why I would like to go w/ the stock pattern, but I may wait and upgrade the front too. I got a few axles I need to get rid of, lol! :guitar:

ZachMan said:
I found many nodular 31 spline big bearing 9" axles. One of which is a 1980 and is a rare 5 on 4.5 bolt pattern. My question is should I use this axle or one of the others that are 5 on 5.5? They are all 31 spline and big bearing.

I still have my d30 up front which is why I would like to go w/ the stock pattern, but I may wait and upgrade the front too. I got a few axles I need to get rid of, lol! :guitar:

I'd go with the 5x5.5 rear and swap out that D30 for a HP44 converted to 5x5.5 pattern. Your axles should match right? :D

I've never heard of a 31 spline nine with the 5 on 4-1/2 pattern. The small BC was used on cars and were 28 spline. I also thought the nodulars were all truck apps, hence 31 spline, big bearing. Can you tell me what vehicle this is out of?

And Useless... what HP44 wasn't already 5 on 5-1/2?

Vug said:
I've never heard of a 31 spline nine with the 5 on 4-1/2 pattern. The small BC was used on cars and were 28 spline. I also thought the nodulars were all truck apps, hence 31 spline, big bearing. Can you tell me what vehicle this is out of?

And Useless... what HP44 wasn't already 5 on 5-1/2?

80-82 F100 2wd., Some reason these years the trucks came w/ power brakes and because of that they had 5 on 4.5 pattern.

Also, the axles I found are all 61 1/4" to 65" wms to wms. Anyone need a 9"?

ZachMan said:
80-82 F100 2wd., Some reason these years the trucks came w/ power brakes and because of that they had 5 on 4.5 pattern.

Also, the axles I found are all 61 1/4" to 65" wms to wms. Anyone need a 9"?

huh
looks a perfect XJ swapper for staying with the D30 up front

Back