• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How much lift w/o SYE is possible on a long bed MJ?

jaggedsteel

NAXJA Forum User
Got this old beat up MJ I plan to do something with and was wondering how much I can lift it without installing a SYE. It's a longbed so from what I know about jeep wheelbase lengths the driveshaft should be 15" longer than an XJ driveshaft. I'm planning on moving the perches up top for a spring-over-axle lift in the rear and make up whatever in the front. Just wondering how much more lift will the longer driveshaft allow for without vibes.

Thanks for your input guys.

Regards,

Mike

jaggedsteel said:
Got this old beat up MJ I plan to do something with and was wondering how much I can lift it without installing a SYE. It's a longbed so from what I know about jeep wheelbase lengths the driveshaft should be 15" longer than an XJ driveshaft. I'm planning on moving the perches up top for a spring-over-axle lift in the rear and make up whatever in the front. Just wondering how much more lift will the longer driveshaft allow for without vibes.

Thanks for your input guys.

Regards,

Mike
My answer is kinda realated. Before my SYE I had very few vibes from the rear driveshaft with a 6" lift. I have a MT, which makes my driveshat longer by about a couple inches. With my D44 and an extended SY, I was still able to use my OEM driveshaft without any problems. I went to the SYE for strength and trail fixes. Yours with that extra 15" I really doubt you'll have any vibration trouble.

geesh with that longbed I would bet you could get 8-10 inches before needing it for vibes but at some point you will really want your pinion rotated up to be out of the way of the rocks a little more. I lived with a SY for a long time when I finally got my SYE I wished I had done it a long time ago.

WOW! I'm tickled to death to hear that! 6" is pretty much what I was hoping but to hear you guys say it just made my day. Since with that much lift I'll need tall tires, that means the D35 in the rear has to go. Do you guys prefer the D44 or ford 8.8 disc? Or are there other better options?

Thanks all!

Mike

I'm going with a D44 in mine...it just happens to be an MJ 44. Unfortunately, my truck didn't originally have it.

On a moderately unrelated note, could you measure some points on your MJ for me, so I can figure out how much higher I really am? Like ground-hood and ground-top of the bed in back?

Phil Weeks said:
I'm going with a D44 in mine...it just happens to be an MJ 44. Unfortunately, my truck didn't originally have it.

On a moderately unrelated note, could you measure some points on your MJ for me, so I can figure out how much higher I really am? Like ground-hood and ground-top of the bed in back?
Phil - it's not exactly what you were asking for, but several years ago my next-door neighbors 89 MJ shared driveways with my 89 XJ and we noticed that with both of us on 235/75R15s we were the same height at the hood and taillights. This makes sense because the MJ and XJ were built on the same assembly line. Therefore...stock you should be at 17.5" from hub center to the bottom of the stock flare (assuming you have the stock flares). Can't help ya on the other measurement though

Yucca-Man said:
Therefore...stock you should be at 17.5" from hub center to the bottom of the stock flare (assuming you have the stock flares).

Stock flares are gone, I guess I can just go measure a stock XJ right around here. :twak:

Phil, what I did is find a stock XJ, and don't measure just from the ground because then you are factoring in tire sizes too. measure from the ground to the frame LCA bolt and from the ground to bottom of axle tube on both, this way you are only figuring out suspension lift.

Back