• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Sorry to beat a dead horse....

XJClassic

NAXJA Member #1086
Ok...I am pretty sure this has been discussed before...but...

I just recently got a '98 Classic in excellent condition (soccer mom jeep). I have had XJs in the past and used Tomken (4") and a Superlift (3"AAL, junk!). I really want to do this one the right way, not TOO big, but still capable off road.

I have read all the recent posts regarding not lifting vs. lifting vs. lifting and taking back to stock vs. ???? who knows. I want to 'wheel this thing, but still drive it as my DD. I understand the drawbacks to lifting, and the obvious advantages. I am not afraid to spend the money to get it right, but I don't want an investment larger than my mortgage! SO.......

Here is what I think I want to do... An RE6030 "kit". I have 31" MT/Rs. (they have been listed for sale...but I guess I'll keep 'em.) I more than likely will put them on the stock Ecco's ...but I think an 8" would be better??

My main question(s) is... in addition to the "kit" and shocks (suggestions on shocks would be appreciated too) what else do you think I will NEED right from the start? (realizing problems may arise...DW, drive line issues, etc.)

Thanks to all who respond....... any one in the Eastern PA area that 'wheels frequently and can show me "forgotten trails"??? I used to go to Tower City, Mt. Carmel....etc...etc...

if you wanna run 31 MTRs & wheel it & also have as a DD I vote either a 3" or 3.5" (Rusty's or RE)
i ran a Rusty's 3" (& 3/4" spacers front) on 31s for about a year driving ALOT on highway & interstate to & from work (72 miles one way, 4 days/wk.) all on some very crappy alabama roads @ break-neck speeds alot of the time & 2 trips to Tellico mixed in there & some other small wheelin trips, all w/ no problems on road (NO dw or steering problems) & was very capable offroad..

homemade swaybar discos, hand straightened front brake lines, & a 1" t-case drop, will do ya...

dead horse becoming more like a red, greasy stain on the ground.. :)

Back