• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Who here runs 30x9.5" BFG KO's with no lift?

@dam

NAXJA Forum User
Ive heard some say it is possible, but I also hear every cherokee is different. So, who runs 30x9.5" BFG TA KO's with no lift? What has your experience been like? How was mpg affected?

I have a 1995 Sport 4.0, no sag.

My friend runs this size on stock '95 Cherokee, 30x9.5 BFG A/T KO. No rubbing anywhere with the sway bar connected. He hasn't disconnected it at all so don't know about that.

I can't speak to BFG's, but ran Mickey Thonpson Baja Belted (don't ask) it got rubbing on the lower control arm at full lock turning left. Good luck.

seanR said:
I ran that size on three different XJs, an '88, a 99, and a 2000. Never had a problem with rubbing but I never diconected the sway bar.

Cool- sounds like it won't be a problem. Does anybody know what that is equivelent to in metric sizes, or what my stock 225/75's are in inches? I'm trying to figure out how big the difference wheel be.

Also, how badly did MPG suffer with the new tires?

I ran 30x9.5" BFG At's on my 2000 with no lift for awhile. Both sway bars connected, and the wheeling I did was minimal (I hadn't found anywhere to wheel yet!). I managed to get one of the rear tires to run the inside of the wheelwell just a little ONCE. I was LOADED down with people and camping supplies and hit a bump in the road at ~35 mph.

Now that I have the rear swaybar gone, JKS disco's on the front and a 2" OME lift, I can get a little rubbing in several places when disco'd and flexed out - but nothing major and nothing on the road.

You should be fine. Concerning metric sizes... I think 235's are about 30" but I'm not sure. The 30's were cheaper than 235's when I got them. Maybe just a fluke or maybe 30's are always cheaper (more popular?)

EDIT: Concerning mileage... my mileage APPEARED to drop several mpg, but after checking actual mileage it turns out that the stock speedo was measuring too fast to begin with and the 30's actually corrected it! Nonetheless, I think my mileage went down very slightly - maybe 1 mpg. The 4.0 is more efficient at higher rpm's and the 30's lower your rpms at a given speed. My guess is that 3.73's would be best... but it's not enough of a change to be worth it.

I couldn't find the tire size calculator, but they did have conversion charts. If the tire indeed is 30"x9.5", that would correspond to about 241 66R15

Here are some ODs of some A/T tires with 15/32" tread depth from the tire company I work for, but I can't swear that BFG is the same:
OD section width
30x950r15 29.3" 9.3"
31x10.50r15 30.2 10.5
32x11.50r15 31.3 11.4
33x12.50r15 32.4 12.4

My daughter runs 30x950r15 a/t on her unmodified "00 XJ 4x4, with no problems. :sure:

Back