• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Water Pump?

91xjtim

NAXJA Forum User
Wanted to get you guys input if i could. When I start my XJ in the morning(Cold morning) and only when it is cold not after it has been driven. it will leak coolant. It only does it for a little bit, and when I look to see where it is coming from it looks like it is coming from the lower radiator hose, coming off of the water pump. Now, both the pump, hose and clamp are newer say approx 6 months old (Pump is an autozone rebuild job). Does this sould like a weep hole/water pump issue or leaking from the hose? Cause whereever it is leaking from it stops after a few minutes(After water, pump and hose warm up) I am only asking this as it is difficult to tell from looking at it.

Thanx in advance!

When you replaced the hose did you reuse those srping type clamps or did you throw those away, hint, and buy the screw tightning ones? I kind of had a similar problem. It looked like it was the water pump leaking down onto the lower rad hose, but it was actually leaking from where the hose hooks up to the water pump. When it warmed up it went away. So I ditched the srping type clamp and bought the screw on kind. Problem solved.

Alex

My 90 did the exact same thing from time to time. It is the water pump. It runs out of the seal on the pump and down the bottom of the neck for the lower hose. When I pulled the pump it was all remnants of coolant on the under side of it.

Did you use RTV on the WP gasket? When I replaced mine, I tourqued everthing to spec, and as soon as I started re-filling the rad. it started to leak from around the pump gasket in the same area. A little RTV on the gasket fixed that right up.

Yeah I did...i recon I will just pull the stupid thing and take it back to autozone. It is a lifetime warranty type thing...so I hope I will get a better one this time.

Back