• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Little Axle help please

xjluvr

NAXJA Forum User
I just bought this truck for $100 bucks, 78 F250 4x4, I got it for the axles thats it, I think they are 60's front is even high pinion! 8 lug!!
heres pics, poor quality, but here none the less!
front pumpkin
Axles001.jpg

Axles002.jpg

rear pumpkin
Axles003.jpg

rear hub
Axles004.jpg

The whole truck
Axles005.jpg

Did I do good or are these a waste of time, I can't find a tag anywhere!

xjluvr said:
I dun good?!!!

Yeah, I know for a fact thats a rear 60 like MaXJ sad, and I'm willing to bet that's a HP60 front but I can't really tell. The cover looks a bigger than a D44 cover to me...

MOST F-250s came with HP D44s, but there seem to be some packages that had D60s. from the very little I can see of the knuckles, it looks like D44 to me.

no matter what, it's well worth $100. tell ya what, I'll buy it from ya for $200, you can double you're money in just one day! :D

mad maXJ said:
as I suspected, 3/4 ton HP D44.

still a great find! but ask Beezil about finding alloy shafts for it :D apparently no one makes alloys for the F250 D44, just the F150 version.

Well, I was off the mark... something about that cover said "60" to me... But none-the-less its still a very worth while axle to build if you're not worried about running alloys... or if you have the bills to throw at a totally custom set. :smoker:

man that is a sweet find.

JnJ said:
What shape is the rest of the drivetrain in? You might be able to sell some stuff to get some more $$ to build the axles.
It is all intact, It came from a farmer, hence the wheels 20" no less!
It has sat for about two years, dont know if it runs, 351w, 4 speed, not sure about the Xfer case, it is HUGE!!
I have a guy who is interested in the rest of the truck, I just wanted the axles!!

Legal issues are no prblem, if I do this full width, it will be trail only. I have looked as some pictures of ashmanjeepxj's rig, the only thing that looks wide is the front, albiet that he runs a 60 front and a 70 rear. I think the rear may not be that much of an issue, would it be worth cutting down the front 44? I think I will measure tomorrow and see just how much wider this will be!

The hummer wheels are definetly a possibility, What I hear they aint that expensive.
Thanx for the info, I will definetly keep an update on this project. Lots of questions in the future!

Bwhahaha

Or...

If the chassis & Ford running gear is in solid shape, shorten it & mount a Comanche or XJ body onto in... 203/205, (Sell 44 get hydro 60) Mount rims & tires to suit, Air Horns, Yosemite Sam flaps for Utah, the works...

4 corner leaf spring conversions are not a crime against nature in an XJ or MJ IMO ;)

Woody

Back