• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

codes 11 and 12

mn_xj

NAXJA Forum User
I have a fsm, and im going through it, any one else deal w/ 11 and 12 in a 97 4ltr? More specific questions to come TIA
Ben

My jeep is a 97 6 cyl with just under 110,000
Code 12 is "Direct battery input to PCM was disconnected within the last 50 key on cycles"
Code 11 has a couple "No crank reference signal detected during engine cranking" and "intermittent loss of either camshaft or crankshaft position sensor." AND "CKP sensor target windows have too much variation"
OK, should I panic there are currently no "symptoms" so I'm not sure where to begin. TIA Ben

CPS might have not given the right signals to the cpu at some point in the past.

Why did you check codes? Have you had a hard start of stalling problem?

mark

it is very hard starting

Mark Hinkley said:
Meaning long crank times, correct, then replace the CPS!

mark
Don't count on the CPS being the culprit for hard starts on a 97+ XJ. I just replaced mine last nite due to hard starting to the tune of 105$ and it's still not starting. Cap, rotor, plugs, IAC all new. I'm now just getting highly pissed off and frustrated.

Are you getting gas? Are you getting spark?
I had a no start incident on my way back from AZ last spring and it turned out to be my coil. Luckily I had a spare with me as it was Sunday and I was in the middle of nowhere(Needles, CA.).

Jes

Mark Hinkley said:
Code 11 = CPS!

Just went thru this on my 92!

:D

mark

Yeah but a bad CPS won't always throw a code from the way I understand it. My bitch assed hard starts are intermittent and elusive.

Jeep Biscuit said:
Yeah but a bad CPS won't always throw a code from the way I understand it. My bitch assed hard starts are intermittent and elusive.

That is correct, it sometimes need a certian number of faults before it codes.

Now that I reread he is talking 97 so I'm not sure how he is reading codes.

MN_xj how are you getting the codes from the Jeep?

JB what year is yours?

mark

Well, I did some checking on my own and found the same thing in the FSM. I bet the guy is using the check engine light flash method for getting his codes. This works fine on the pre OBDII Jeeps(95 and older), but is a problem when using it to diagnose 96 and newer OBDII Jeeps.
Code 11 has a couple "No crank reference signal detected during engine cranking" and "intermittent loss of either camshaft or crankshaft position sensor." AND "CKP sensor target windows have too much variation"
I found all these codes, and more, associated with flash code 11. What you really need is the P-code. This is the OBDII way of identifying very specific problems with a monitored sensor, or system. This is way more specific than the old flash codes.

I hope someone can confirm this, but I thought the way the flash codes were displayed was by first flashing 11, then whatever code is set, followed by a 55. The 11 being for the start of the sequence and the 55 indicates the end of the diagnostic codes.

Just as a guess with the hard starting, check your fuel pressure. Not just the running pressure, but how much pressure the sysytem will hold once the key is turned off. It should hold at least 30 psi for 5 minutes after the pump shuts off. If it drops immediately after key off this may indicate a problem with the fuel draining back into the tank after the Jeep sits for too long. When you try to start it, now the fuel pump must fill and pressurize the entire fuel rail and line from the tank.

Get a p-code before doing any serious computer tests.

Bryan

Bryan C. said:
Well, I did some checking on my own and found the same thing in the FSM. I bet the guy is using the check engine light flash method for getting his codes. This works fine on the pre OBDII Jeeps(95 and older), but is a problem when using it to diagnose 96 and newer OBDII Jeeps.

I found all these codes, and more, associated with flash code 11. What you really need is the P-code. This is the OBDII way of identifying very specific problems with a monitored sensor, or system. This is way more specific than the old flash codes.

I hope someone can confirm this, but I thought the way the flash codes were displayed was by first flashing 11, then whatever code is set, followed by a 55. The 11 being for the start of the sequence and the 55 indicates the end of the diagnostic codes.

Just as a guess with the hard starting, check your fuel pressure. Not just the running pressure, but how much pressure the sysytem will hold once the key is turned off. It should hold at least 30 psi for 5 minutes after the pump shuts off. If it drops immediately after key off this may indicate a problem with the fuel draining back into the tank after the Jeep sits for too long. When you try to start it, now the fuel pump must fill and pressurize the entire fuel rail and line from the tank.

Get a p-code before doing any serious computer tests.

Bryan
I hear ya on the fuel rail but the fuel prime circuit energizes promptly and pumps up before I hit the crank. I'm in a quandry with this sonofabitch. Frustration is my friend on this issue.

How do you check codes on a ’91 (NON OBD II system)? I’ve seen the OBD II readers but they are for ’96 and up. Schucks had a plug in module for ’93 and up. Can you jump two pins like on the older Chevys?

Wiley Coyote said:
How do you check codes on a ’91 (NON OBD II system)? I’ve seen the OBD II readers but they are for ’96 and up. Schucks had a plug in module for ’93 and up. Can you jump two pins like on the older Chevys?

Use the key, turn on and off 3 or 4 times and the engine light flashes out the codes.

mark

MN_xj how are you getting the codes from the Jeep?

By cycling the key on off on off etc.

Even if it does always lead w/a code eleven there was a code 12 before the 55 ?
:worship:
:dunno: How do I get "P" codes , can anyone learn me on them or give a few key words to serch on THANKS

Last edited:
:anon:
mn_xj said:

:dunno: How do I get "P" codes , can anyone learn me on them or give a few key words to serch on THANKS
Is this a go see the dealer kinda deal?

mn_xj said:
:anon:
Is this a go see the dealer kinda deal?

When i first read your post I blew right by the 97 part.

It also sounded like you *GOT* codes from your jeep.

So I'm :confused:

OBDII needs a scanner to read the codes, from what I understand. I have heard something about flash codes on OBDII but have never heard of anyone who *Knew* how to get them or a list of them.

So, I'm not sure where you are at wwith getting codes from your jeep.

mark

Bryan C. said:

Sorry, but I'm gonna have to call SPOBI on that quote from me.

I did some checking on OBDII cars for how they flash the code sequence. On Jeeps with no stored codes, the light flashes 55 only. If there is a code stored, it will flash that code, and any others set, and then flash 55. Just cycle the key from off to on 3 times, and leave the key in the on position the third time, then start counting the check engine light flashes.

What is a p-code? P-codes are powertrain codes set by 96 and newer OBDII engine controllers. The federal government mandated that in 1996, all new cars sold must comply with a new industry wide set of diagnostic codes. These codes replaced all the previous manufacturer specific codes. This was done to standardize the diagnostics and scan tool interfaces required to access the on board controller.

How do you get the P-code? You need an OBDII compliant scan tool to access the controller. Just need to find someone with a scanner. Any repair shop, and even some Autozone stores can get the codes for you. AZ is free from what I hear.

Jeep Biscuit said:
I hear ya on the fuel rail but the fuel prime circuit energizes promptly and pumps up before I hit the crank. I'm in a quandry with this sonofabitch. Frustration is my friend on this issue.

The key on prime will not help in the scenario I described. If all the fuel has drained back to the tank, it will take more than the 2 second pump prime to refill the system. Basically, all I am describing is one of the basic checks for hard starting. A properly operating fuel system should hold 30 psi of pressure for 5 minutes after the key is shut off. This isn't that common of a problem on the XJ, but was a big issue for the 99 to 01 WJs. It is just a good basic diagnostic check.

Bryan

SPOBI free for 0 days and counting. :hang:

:thumbup: NAXJA you guys Rock :worship:
THANK YOU !!!!!!

Bryan C. said:
Sorry, but I'm gonna have to call SPOBI on that quote from me.

I did some checking on OBDII cars for how they flash the code sequence. On Jeeps with no stored codes, the light flashes 55 only. If there is a code stored, it will flash that code, and any others set, and then flash 55. Just cycle the key from off to on 3 times, and leave the key in the on position the third time, then start counting the check engine light flashes.

What is a p-code? P-codes are powertrain codes set by 96 and newer OBDII engine controllers. The federal government mandated that in 1996, all new cars sold must comply with a new industry wide set of diagnostic codes. These codes replaced all the previous manufacturer specific codes. This was done to standardize the diagnostics and scan tool interfaces required to access the on board controller.

How do you get the P-code? You need an OBDII compliant scan tool to access the controller. Just need to find someone with a scanner. Any repair shop, and even some Autozone stores can get the codes for you. AZ is free from what I hear.

The key on prime will not help in the scenario I described. If all the fuel has drained back to the tank, it will take more than the 2 second pump prime to refill the system. Basically, all I am describing is one of the basic checks for hard starting. A properly operating fuel system should hold 30 psi of pressure for 5 minutes after the key is shut off. This isn't that common of a problem on the XJ, but was a big issue for the 99 to 01 WJs. It is just a good basic diagnostic check.

Bryan

SPOBI free for 0 days and counting. :hang:
Brian, I think the pre-charge scheme is more complex than what you’re saying but you definitely have a point. I didn’t think that piece thru completely. I’m gonna stop off the return line and give it a shot. Results to follow. Also, 98 XJ’s fuel delivery are problematic for many.

Thanks again.

Back