• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Power steering

Jeremyvnc

NAXJA Forum User
Can someone help me with my power steering problem. I'm on a strict budget so I can't spend alot of money. Keeping that in mind, something is wrong with my power steering. I have a 96 XJ country, when i start my car cold it steers fine, but when I warm it up the Jeep doesn't want to steer at very low speeds (parking and such is a pain in the ass). Does this mean that I need a new pump? What are my options and where do I get them?

Jeremyvnc said:
Can someone help me with my power steering problem. I'm on a strict budget so I can't spend alot of money. Keeping that in mind, something is wrong with my power steering. I have a 96 XJ country, when i start my car cold it steers fine, but when I warm it up the Jeep doesn't want to steer at very low speeds (parking and such is a pain in the ass). Does this mean that I need a new pump? What are my options and where do I get them?

Yea , sounds like your pump in on its way out. Yu can gt one from a scrap yard if you're really on a budget, or any auto parts store should have a replacement.

Just to be sure...did you check your PS fluid & hoses...try flushing the PS system first too....

I thought about checking the pressure on the system.

I was wondering, every jeep I or my brother have ever had (80's & up) have had power steering leaks or problems. So, getting a pump might not be such a good idea? Has this luck held with everyone else? Is there a new style pump that replaced this stupid repeating problem?

My 96 Classic is doing the exact same thing after doing some doughnuts in the snow. Fluid and pressure are fine so a new pump is going in soon. Pain to park huh. :roflmao:

Jeremyvnc said:
I thought about checking the pressure on the system.

I was wondering, every jeep I or my brother have ever had (80's & up) have had power steering leaks or problems. So, getting a pump might not be such a good idea? Has this luck held with everyone else? Is there a new style pump that replaced this stupid repeating problem?

I picked up a rebuilt pump at Autozone for $89 and it has a lifetime warranty. Sure, if it needs to be replaced every 20k miles it's not such a great deal, but the job is easy and I couldn't beat the price. If I get 50k miles out of it I will be happy since I will be replacing the belt anyway. My $.02

Something you can try is Lucas Power Steering Stop Leak. It costs about six bucks for a bottle of thick red fluid. You just pour it into your power steering reservoir and let it do its magic. If it doesn't work, your out six bucks. If it does, you saved a bunch of cash. If it doesn't work and your real cheap, you might even get your money back because it has some kind of warrenty. I didn't read it because it has worked great for me.

I used this to seal up a hole in my 86' Pathfinder which was large enough so that in about six minutes the power steering would be empty. I used it to quiet my Ranger's power steering, which would squeal nonstop if it was below freezing outside.

meatmonkey said:
Something you can try is Lucas Power Steering Stop Leak. It costs about six bucks for a bottle of thick red fluid. You just pour it into your power steering reservoir and let it do its magic. If it doesn't work, your out six bucks. If it does, you saved a bunch of cash. If it doesn't work and your real cheap, you might even get your money back because it has some kind of warrenty. I didn't read it because it has worked great for me.

I used this to seal up a hole in my 86' Pathfinder which was large enough so that in about six minutes the power steering would be empty. I used it to quiet my Ranger's power steering, which would squeal nonstop if it was below freezing outside.

Yes that is an idea except for the fact that the power steering pump isn't leaking (not to my knowledge at least).

Jeremy, Don’t know if this would fix your problem, but it might help since you are not actually leaking fluid. If you’re feeling really spunky there is a power steering mod that is supposed to increase power/steering rate. I’ve never done it, but the directions and pictures look pretty simple. If you want the directions/pictures email me at [email protected] and I’ll send them to you.

Jeremyvnc said:
I am haveing the same problem i think works fine till i slow down or apply the brakes then its like turning a aircraft carrier :skull2: . if you find out somethig let me know

same prob here, difference was it was fine this morning and then i put a rigidco front bumper on (included replacing the steering box bolts, and bracing the frame rails.) if the bolts were too tight or too lose would it for some reason cause me to loose the power to my steering at low speeds and idle?

AGR System? Explain plz... AGR is a company that makes steering stuff. One of their more known products is the rock ram steering stablizer. I orderd mine through Mid state jeep in UT.(800- 247-8065) but i would try to change the fluid first, check for bent or loose componets. you my not nessasarly need a pump. but thats what fixed mine (since i burned mine whe i was stuck in 3 ft. of snow.) hope this helps :idea:

Back