• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1999 XJ snorkel

Aloha365

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 1999 XJ with Antilock Brakes. I was thinking of installing an ARB snorkel, but all the pictures I look at have the snorkel coming out right where all my ABS components are in the engine compartment. I would say it runs inside the fender, but that is where the windshield washer fluid tank is. Has anyone had this same issue, or is it directed around these components.

It runs inside the fender...you remove the washer fluid bottle and replace it with one supplied from ARB on the Pass side.

TOZOVR said:
It runs inside the fender...you remove the washer fluid bottle and replace it with one supplied from ARB on the Pass side.

TOZOVR,
Where about on the passenger side do you mount it? I'm going to lose my antilock in a few days and I always figured that it entered the engine bay where the ABS pump/CU was. I'm going to install a second (diesel tray) battery soon too; will that be in the way? Do you think that I can fab the snorkle to enter where the ABS was and that's where I'll place my aircleaner?
Thanx,
BLUTO :)

TOZOVR said:

An even better location (with a bit more work) is to use the original washer bottle and put it inside the passenger side fender. Basically a mirror of the driver side. Just need to seal up the original hole for the filler neck, drill a new hole for it, and use a heat gun a bit to reshape it so that it fits! Worked great on my '99, -SNB

Here is the el crapo container ARB sent, mounted with zip ties cause I couldn;'t figure out anywhere else to put it ... it wouldn't fit where they told me to put it.:
IMG_0157.JPG

But that container was too small and after aggravating me long enough......

I just got a container of an earlier model and with a little elbow grease it fit pretty much in the same spot as the vehicle I got it off of.

Here it is on my 2000:
IMG_0304.JPG

Here is the rest of the install...
http://www.patricksnorton.com/cherokee/tech/snorkel.php

is the airbox lid watertight? It looks like you still have the originall airbox and filter, how do you keep water out of there? Besides not getting it that deep?

I have done a battery swap/snorkel in through the inner fender through a cannister setup that passes just in front of the ABS pump. I did remove the ABS due to my D44 front and rear axles, but I also had the snorkel fitting with the ABS pump in but shifted back a very small bit. Also, in order to fit the battery I sunk the computer into the inner fender. I've done a detailed article on this which can be found here:

http://www.madxj.com/MADXJ/technical/technicalfiles/JAairIntake/AirIntake.htm

I am using the ARB washer bottle located in the passengers side rear of the engine bay. It can be seen in the pics. Jeff

Back