• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

tubing notcher question...

Danno

NAXJA Forum User
I have a JD2 tubing notcher and it works really well. My problem is that it goes thru hole saw blades VERY quickly. I get about 6-8 cuts and that's it. I'm even using cutting oil to help prolong the life.
Are there any carbide hole saw blades? Help!! Thanks, Danno

I get about 100 to 125 cuts per saw.

I use Milwaukee saws, no oil.

6-8 cuts, cripes man, are you using a hammer drill or something? :spin1:

CRASH

Danno said:
I have a JD2 tubing notcher and it works really well. My problem is that it goes thru hole saw blades VERY quickly. I get about 6-8 cuts and that's it. I'm even using cutting oil to help prolong the life.
Are there any carbide hole saw blades? Help!! Thanks, Danno

Sounds like your hole saws are turning to fast. Are you using a drill press or a hand drill? If your using a drill press you may be feeding the saw through too fast as well.

I agree to probably slow down and I recommend using lube.
GUNK, that's right the engine cleaner, works well as does ATF.

Our notcher is setup with a recirculating pump using ATF. We don't know how many cuts we're getting out of our hole saws. It just keeps going and going and going and going....... We're using Starret saws.

I have used carbide tipped hole saws before, when fab-ing our mini-baja frame at WIT, we actually went through those faster than bi-metal hole saws, although we were cutting 4130 tubing. And once you lose one of the tips, forget it, the hole saw sucks, not saying it does cut, but it gets ugly. Now we just use bi-metal hole saws with a little bit of cutting oil, motor oil also works in a pinch, and we get somewhere around 100 to 110 cuts wih each, it really matter on the operator, best piece of advice that I can give you is let the saw do the cutting, don't force it.

lenox are hands down my favorite. lenox seems to outlast starret in my experience

I am now using the lenox brand in three different bandsaws, I don't know why, but we're getting more life ESPECIALLY in the horizontal bandsaw.

chassellbandit said:
what do u guys think of lenox saws? just ordered my notcher today, and i know lenox stuff worx great in wood, how do they do in metal?
Don't know those bits but make sure whatever you use is a metal/wood/plastic saw. Wood only will just make noise :)

chassellbandit said:
what do u guys think of lenox saws? just ordered my notcher today, and i know lenox stuff worx great in wood, how do they do in metal?

Lenox recip blades are the bomb diggity. I'm sure the hole saws are as well. FYI, I know all of the Bosch, Porter Cable and Skil blades and bits are made by Vermont America, so you may get the same quality at a cheaper price if you buy the VA bits/blades. This goes for reciprocating, jigsaw, circular saw blades as well as drill and router bits.

KY Chris

made by Vermont America

I can't buy anything from a state that produced Howard Dean.

Now, Milwaukee on the other hand. Home of the finest American Pilsners AND LAverne and Shirley, that's a city I can dig.

CRASH

Ditto on what's already been said, go slow and use the coolant/lube. I've only used Lenox holesaws but get a lot of use out of them. Use their bandsaw blades too and more than happy with that!

good. i've always been really impressed with lenox blades in whatever i've used, so i wasn't real worried about, but good to have that reaffirmed. and crash, i'm sorry, but i can hardly call goebel one of the finest american pilsners :laugh2:

I used the cheepie Home Depot Bi-metal 2in whole saw ($8?) in the cheepie Harbor freight notcher. I lube the notcher shaft but not the whole saw and have done like 1.5 buggie cages on my first blade.

High speed 6Amp hand drill.

The Harbor freight notcher bent it self after about half a cage, when the blade bit into the tube, then I suported the back aluminum plate with some 1/4in plate with longer bolts and its been fine since then, slightly off center as always but good enough.

HTH.

Danno,

I usually get pretty good saws from welding shops. I've been happy with Morse and another brand (name has been worn off, dark blue). I usually pay less than the hardware store prices also. The blue saw has cut about 20 holes in 1/4" plate on a drill press that only goes down to 500 rpm. :scared:

I use Energy Release cutting oil.

Lincoln

Back