• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1990 Jeep Ring and Pinion

rebelyall7

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 1990 XJ and my 4 wheel drive doesnt work. I believe that the ring and pinion gear is stripped out. I was wondering what gearing the front axle has and which kind of axle it is. I think it's a Dana 30. My Jeep is totally stock. Thanks!

rebelyall7 said:
I was wondering what gearing the front axle has and which kind of axle it is. I think it's a Dana 30.

Auto tranny should have 3.55:1 gearing and a manual 3.07:1(?). All recent jeeps 'cept the rubicon have a D30 front axle. Im sure someone will suggest other stuff though, I wouldnt think its a stripped r&p, but thats what you wanted to know. Rock on man!

The reason I think the r&p is stripped out is b/c i got in a little fender bender several months ago. It was minor so I didn't get anything fixed. Every time since then when I turn hard left there is an awful grinding noise. My dumbass didn't do anything about it and now I think I have stripped it out. Any thoughts appreciated. Thanks!

It really seems more likely that your front axle disconnect is bad, or perhaps a universal joint. Before you go too far, you should jack the thing up and check things. Look first at both axle universal joints to ensure that one isn't broken, binding, etc. You could test further by putting the TC in 2WD (engine running so that vacuum is produced to operate the axle disconnect) and the transmission in neutral, then shutting off the enigine. Now turn the front driveshaft by hand. If the axle is disconnected but the r&P are good, it will turn smoothly, rotating the right inner axle shaft where you can't see it. If the R&P are bad, you should hear it or feel it. Now shift to 4WD with engine running and turn it off again. It should now not be possible to turn the front driveshaft with both wheels on the ground, and with both wheels off it should turn one or the other. You could also just put it in 4WD and jack up the right front wheel alone. It should not be possible to turn that wheel if the axle is engaged.

If your fender-bender happened to occur on the right front, it may well have broken the vacuum reservoir that lives behind the bumper. This will result in no 4WD, and perhaps in your heater blowing only through the defrost duct.

Yea, I knew someone would come up with better ideas than mine. Good luck man.

Not likely that the gears have striped especially as result of an accident. Sounds like you need to either get under there and figure out what’s going on or take it to a shop. It could be any number of things but I don’t think the gears are one of them. http://digilander.libero.it/xjconnection/dana30_xj.htm this link may help you get an idea whats in there.

Back