• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Relocate Horns and Vacuum Canister

IntrepidXJ

NAXJA Member #647
Adding a new front bumper this week and chopping the fenders.

Just curious where you all relocated the horns and vacuum cannister? Pictures would be great, too

Oh yeah, I will no longer have the fender support brace, so that's not gonna be an option to mount to.

Thanks in advance

Randy, You can move the vacuum cannister to the fire wall above the passenger side wheel well. if you follow the hadr tubes back you will see where to tie it in to the system. There is a write up with pictures somewhere if I find it I will link it to here.

Good luck. Is TJ going to help you? Are you going with 33's? Let me know how it turns out.

in my '89 4.0 i put the vac canister sneakily under the coolant bottle. if you mount it upside down, just drill a hole or two in the little shelf that holds the bottle and mount away.

dan f.

p.s. i don't know if other years or engines used a different layout, but this worked for me

seanR said:
Randy, You can move the vacuum cannister to the fire wall above the passenger side wheel well. if you follow the hadr tubes back you will see where to tie it in to the system. There is a write up with pictures somewhere if I find it I will link it to here.

Good luck. Is TJ going to help you? Are you going with 33's? Let me know how it turns out.
Nope, no one is helping me. Getting anew bumper for x-mas, so I am prepping to install it this week. Decided to chop my fenders as long as I was working in the area anyways.

I will be running 33's as soon as I can afford to get them, but for now, I'll still be running my 30's

here's a pic of my very first chop job (so far):

DSC00014.JPG

not bad for my very first attempt at doing something like this, IMO :) i just need more practice. since there was a lot of rust under the flares, i'm probably just gonna cut the whole raised lip of the fender off.

I mounted the vacuum canister in the middle of the front cross member behind the "new" front bumper. It really did not take much other than making up an additional mounting bracket. May have taken all of 5 minutes to do with the bumper off.

Les

I used a big zip tie to tie the vacuum bottle to the radiator overflow bottle on my '96. I didn't cut the support brace out of the fender, so my horns are still where they originally were.

RR3

Back