• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Waggy D44's in an XJ?

WheatKing

NAXJA Forum User
I have a line on some waggy d44's.. that i could put in my XJ.. i think.. front and rear..

The price is definetly right.

But never having swapped an axle before.. i'm not quite sure what i'll be needing to do..

the rear.. it's pretty straight forward i think..

the front.. well..

I know i'll need spring perches.. and i guess the steering needs to be changed
clues/comments/suggestions would be appreciated..

-- WheatKing

JnJ said:
Ya! I hear that guy who owns Red is super cool! :laugh:

Seriously, check out the page and if ya have any question just ask.

what'd ya use for the steering..

and did you make those spring perches yourself.. or cut them off another axle?

also.. what did ya do about the driveshaft lengths.. i'm going to about 4" of lift in the spring.. but this deal came up with these axles.. so if i can do it without a ton of hassle.. i'm going too.. otherwise i'll let them go..

-- WheatKing

WheatKing said:
what'd ya use for the steering..

and did you make those spring perches yourself.. or cut them off another axle?

also.. what did ya do about the driveshaft lengths.. i'm going to about 4" of lift in the spring.. but this deal came up with these axles.. so if i can do it without a ton of hassle.. i'm going too.. otherwise i'll let them go..

-- WheatKing

When I get home tonight I'll post a link to the steering I used. I made the perches myself, not really that hard. At 7+ inches the stock driveshaft is still fine, no worries there.

Here is a picture of my steering:

frontend1.jpg

Here is a link to the writeup I followed.

http://www.vintagebronco.com/newberry/pages/tech/tre/tre2.html

I use the listed TREs and my buddy James at Brutal Offroad made the Draglink and Tierod.

http://www.brutaloffroad.com/

There is also a place called Shakerbuilt in VA that can build the Tierod and Draglink.

A bracket kit is available for the 44. We used one on mine. Bur mine is a passenger drop, so we cut the kit up to fit. Big Fun! (special thanks to carolinarockshop) As far as steering, you can use the stock waggy steering parts. Good luck

Jnj-
Your front and rear drive shafts are fine? Did you drop the case or put a SYE in?

Keep in mind the pinion is longer on the 44 so that's why he can do that with 7" of lift, at stock height the driveshafts will be too long. Dunno about at 4" though.
Mike B.

Heep said:
Jnj-
Your front and rear drive shafts are fine? Did you drop the case or put a SYE in?
The front shaft is stock, the rear is a Tom Woods shaft I put on with a AA SYE when I was at about 4" of lift.
Even with a D30 your front shaft should be ok up to the 6" lift area.

Sorry I keep askin but Im going to run a 44 front with 36"s.
Are you runnin stock shafts still or did you upgrade them?=have you broke anything?

The best years for waggy axles that work for XJs are 87-91. The waggys up to 79 have passenger side fronts and offset rear 44s. 80-86 have drivers side front 44s and AMC 20 rears, 87-91 have drivers side drop on the front and a perfectly centered rear 44s.
Dave

Heep said:
Sorry I keep askin but Im going to run a 44 front with 36"s.
Are you runnin stock shafts still or did you upgrade them?=have you broke anything?
I have not broke anything up front yet, but I haven't got to abuse it either. I'm in the process of swapping everything over to my MJ now.

DaveB said:
The best years for waggy axles that work for XJs are 87-91. The waggys up to 79 have passenger side fronts and offset rear 44s. 80-86 have drivers side front 44s and AMC 20 rears, 87-91 have drivers side drop on the front and a perfectly centered rear 44s.
Dave

I pulled my front from an '80 Waggy and it had D44s front and rear, driver's side front, centered rear. AMC isn't exactly known for their consistancy...

We did a Waggy 44 swap on Wombat's XJ 3 years ago. We used the stock Waggy tie rod and drag link and they show no signs of trouble.

He was consistantly breaking inners and 297's until we swapped in Warn shafts and 760's. Now he breaks 760's and Warn outers.

CTM's are going in for the upcoming UROC season.

The waggy axles will vary according to which tcase was used in the wagon. No time to dig out the info now to give paticulars... time to do santa duty :spin1:
Mike B.

Back