• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

No heat after closed to open rad. conversion

pair8hd

NAXJA Forum User
I recently got rid of my over heating by yanking the closed system and putting in a open CSF HD 3-row Radiator , new Heater Valve, Thermostat Housing, Coolant Temperature Sensor and Coolant Recovery Bottle, The over heating has stopped and the Jeep was running at 180*-190*, untill I put in a 195* thermostat. It now runs at 200* all the time. Even after the thermostat change I barely have any heat coming out of the heater. The blower motor is fine, it just blows out luke warm air and some times cold air. Any ideas?

I´ve noticed at least three different kinds of heater valves (may be more). Need a four connection type (motor in and out, heater in and out) for the open system. If you have the four connection type, did you get the in and out mixed up/heater side, motor side? If your sure it´s hooked up right, crack the line from the thermostat at the heater valve and check for air. Same with the top heater hose at the valve, with the valve under vacume (just crack it a little, don´t want to spray coolant every where). Be careful at the valve, they break. When you changed the thermo, did you use the OEM style gasket, if the gasket is covering the heater hose outlet, it ain´t gonna work. Is there vacume at the heater valve line, with the heater in heat position. Is your heater plugged? Did you back flush it?
I´ve gotten so when I have the cooling system drained, I grab an extra piece of heater hose, hook it up to the heater inlet, put a pan under the motor and blow. After the coolant comes out, you can tell pretty quick, if it´s restricted, can´t hardly blow through there, a clean heater will offer very little resistance.
No comment about my methods, only works with cars. :lickout:
I´m out of breath and ideas.

Back