• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Compresion retest...survey says Rings?

Ghost

Member Number 257
NAXJA Member
Alright I did a wet compresion test today on the Ghost. Put oil in the sparkplug hole and test for compresion. Well it went up. and it went up a lot! The #1 went from 100 psi to about 140 psi. The number 2 was at 140 so i did not do it. The number three was at 100 psi and went up to 150 psi. The number 4 went from 100 psi to about 140 psi. So I guess this tells me I need new rings and not a head job! Damn I really wanted a head job! So what are my options. Can I just do rings? How hard is it and coes the head or crank have to be pulled? I have never doen anything like this so please HELP!

Do you want to do it enough to "get by," or do you want to do it right? You can do it in the vehicle if you just want to get by for awhile. You will need to pull the head and drop the pan.

Basically, you would remove head and pan, run a ridge reamer around each cylinder bore to clean off the carbon ridge that forms at the top, then undo the rod bearing caps and tap each piston up through the top of the bores.

Then hone each bore lightly with a cylinder hone, install new rings on the pistons, drop them back in the holes, install new rod bearings, and button everything up.

Before doing that, see if JC Whitney still sells those "instant overhaul" pellets that you drop into the spark plug holes. For an old engine that you just want to get a few more miles/months out of, they just might do the trick.

ROTFLMAO @ GSequoia! Yea that is what I thought Eagle. I called about a salvage engine at a local yard today too. 94 xj 92K $800.00! And they would not throw in the computer and wire harness! $800.00 would go a long way to putting that 5.0 in. Hell I might could get it done for close to 1K. And I would much rather do that than sink $800.00 in a salvage engine! I got some Restor today to test it. I really want it to hold together till July and Tellico. The only real problem is the compresion and loss of power right now. So we shall test Restore and go to the auction in 2 weeks and see what comes of it! Thanks!

Dude! I know that that's not the *optimal* amount of compression, but I've seen a LOT worse than 100 PSI compression! Just drive it and worry about it when you have to start doing the ol' "fill 'er with oil and check the gas" when you stop at the convenience store :) Shoot,I think Mark said something about one of his cylinders were down around 30-40 PSI and he's still givin' it hell! :firedevil

That is the plan. Just trying to decide weather or not to replace the Rear Main or not! I've got the seal so I may just do it anyway. I'm going to try that valve cover one more time before I give up there too I think! Hell I know it aint optimum compresion but at least it runs! LOL!

Back