• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Do I have to reset the gears when doing Aussie install?

Heep

NAXJA Forum User
Sorry Im new to the whole gear stuff as in putting them in. Im having a buddy who will be in town that is a mechanic and is going to install my gears and show me how. The problem is that my Aussie locker in the front will not be here then. I can turn a wrench and am doing the whole buildup (welding and all) of the Heep minus the gears.
When I put the Aussie in later do I have to mess with the gears as in re setting them and shimming or whatever you do. Its in a Front Waggy D44 and the gears are 4.88's. The axle is out of the Jeep sitting on the floor.

No, the aussie locker is a "lunchbox" type locker. It merely replaces the spider gears. HTH

Ary

You may have to pull the carrier to put the locker in but as long as you replace the carrier with all the shims and bearings in the same spot and retorque everyting properly there should be no problem.

I had to pull the ring gear off the carrier when I did mine to get the center pin out. It was on a D30 though. I doubt you'll even have to do that. It's a pretty easy mod really.

Back